Templating json

Hi,

I am having some trouble using templates with json. I am trying to pick a value from a json list within an automation but it doesnt work. I have pasted an example below to highlight the problem. The value of backup_timer_1 is identical to the text I have manually set for variable tim1. Does anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong or is this a limitation of the templating system?

{% set tim1 = { "profile": "Medium", "time": "06:30", "active": "on", "weekday": "on", "weekend": "on" } %}
{% set tim = states.sensor.backup_timer_1.state %}
Doesn't work {{ tim.time }}
Doesn't work {{ states.sensor.backup_timer_1.state.time }}
Does work {{ tim1.time }}

Try this:

{{ states.sensor.backup_timer_1.attributes.time }}

Try {{ (tim | tojson).time }}

(I think…!)

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried these but no joys. It appears you cannot process JSON in an automation template, only in the value_template of a sensor or switch. I will make a feature request.

The template is seeing your sensor state as a string. The value_templates where you see this working are specifically designed to receive json and convert before setting a state.

What is populating that sensor?

I am writing the json from hass to backup my input_booleans and input_selects as state restore is not 100% reliable (see link below). By writing each profile in json i can backup my settings onto around 10 mqtt entities rather than more than 40.

I am trying to process this json so I can manually restore backed up states from the json backups rather than having to do it by hand in the front end

I get it.

What you probably want is the ability within the MQTT sensor to parse JSON to multiple attributes. The REST sensor was recently edited to allow this (see “json_attributes” https://home-assistant.io/components/sensor.rest/)

As a stop gap you could parse your MQTT JSON to multiple sensors? value_json works within the mqtt sensor (Value from json (with points))

Another workaround for this is create a script that sets the input_booleans and input_selects to a value. I did this a few weeks ago because I was tired of having to reset everything in the event I had to hard restart HA and everything was turned off at default. I also raised a feature request a while back that asks initial_value to only be used when there was nothing in the database but didn’t get much response on it.

Thanks Andrew, I didn’t know about this, would be a really elegant solution. I’m am going to write a pull request and get this added to mqtt sensor

Pull request has been merged :slight_smile:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/11439