Tenda SP3 wifi plug with RTL8710BX chipset

Hi all,
I have purchased and pulled apart a Tenda SP3 Smart plug. The wireless shipset is a Realtek RTL8710BX. Doing research I know you cannot flash these. There appears to be some talk with Arduino and some special SDK integrations. Does anyone know if there is work on a direct interface for this chipset to Home assistant? From research it appears there are a number of smart products that are now using this wifi controller.

1 Like

If this device has a god then he made the below info

1 Like

Wow, that’s impressive. Knowing that the unit doesn’t need a lot the protocols it may not be to hard to write the code in HA. Security is always a risk but when it’s on my home network, without exposing it to the net I think the integration is worth the effort as I feel there will be a lot more Realtek devices out there. While I didn’t understand all of the code, its still great work. Well done.

Just a question .Did you buy this device to use its MCU ? or you already had it and wanted to reuse its MCU .

Do you use any ESP32 ?

Edit: Does this help

I have generally been using the ESP32 with HA, Tasmota. I bought the plug’s (4 of them), thinking it was Tuya. I have done a lot of reprograming and testing. If push comes to shove, (I am a hardware guy), I could reverse engineer the driving circuit and put in a Wemos board or similar chip in its place. Seems a waste. Working with PC hardware the Realtek chips are VERY popular in PC hardware so I wll not be surprise what it will be used on.

I am still not 100 % clear on what exactly are trying to do . Please make it simple because I am slow :slight_smile:

Make it work with Home assistant through direct integration , HACS or ESP home. I have some knowledge of programming but limited. Willing to give anything a go. :stuck_out_tongue: Love learning.

Hi ,

In the post i sent you above they are talking about the platform rest in home assistant which can integrate your SP3 HW , there is also an example of the code they used . Did you test that ?
Unfortunately I cant test from my side since i do not have the HW but might be I can give little help
if you will test it

The post about the using rest

The rest sensor platform

Give it a try and if this is important to you and you faced issue then directly send a mail to the guy in the post who made it work ( his name is chrisrosenkreuz23 ) .

The rest sensor / switch worked with help from chrisrosenkreuz23. I didnt have any issues with the code and would like to thank you for all your help.

So I have this in my configuration.yaml

switch:
  - platform: rest
    name: TendaBeli
    resource: http://192.168.X.Y:5000/setSta
    state_resource: http://192.168.X.Y:5000/getSta
    is_on_template: "{{ value_json.data.status == 1 }}"
    body_on: '{"status":1}'
    body_off: '{"status":0}'
    headers:
      Content-Type: application/json

how do I actually control it @Dingo ? Because I don’t see it in settings → Integrations

I see it under entities, but it says

This entity ('switch.tendabeli') does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI. See the documentation for more detail.

Some of this is going to sound simple but did you restart your HA. Any changes to Yaml in Config will need a full restart. You config looks good. I hard coded my IP address in my router as you need fixed IP address. My entity sows up as “switch.tendasp3_phone_reset” (I use it on my viop phone). I am not on this aspect but I did connect them to the app and registered them before I integrated in HA. For you ref my YAML is the same as yours.
switch:

I’m pretty sure I rebooted it, but I’ll try again
How do you then control it @Dingo ? Did you add it to the dashboard somehow? If so, how?
I am a novice in HA and find it a bit intimidating, so please take that into consideration :wink:

Just go to a lovelace card and use a button card initially and you should be able to type as your entity switch.tendabeli

I used the same code the only problem is that as I try to turn on I hear the physical click that turns on and then turns off, I don’t understand the reason, all instantly