Test if Tradfri light is available/reachable?

sorry, but i don’t understand that would work given the condition you have:

- condition: state
    entity_id: light.kitchen_1
    state: 'on'

state won’t be on if the light is unavailable, hence the action won’t trigger? Ive tried many situations, and ended using !=‘unavailable’… working in any situation

If you cut the power to the bulb while it is ‘on’, HA still thinks it is on, and the condition is met.

In my case I am only interested in when the light has the power cut while it is turned on, and then make it go ‘unavailable’

If it is off I currently don’t care if it is unavailable or just off. At least for now :slight_smile:

I see. I had to make the distinction between being power cut and being ‘off’ with power.
I both cases my automation does its job.
cool to see each has their own needs. and solutions

In case this is of use to anyone, I’ve had a go at creating a blueprint for this, which can be found at TRÅDFRI unavailable detection.

Hi @Mariusthvdb, sorry to reopen this old post.
I would like to know if your trick works again also today.

I tried with this automation but it didn’t works:

alias: ikea test
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
     minutes: /5
condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: "{{ states('light.luce_bagno_blu') != 'unavailable'}}"
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    metadata: {}
    data:
      brightness: |
        {{ state_attr('light.luce_bagno_blu','brightness') | int}}
    target:
      entity_id: light.luce_bagno_blu

I got the IKEA Tradfi Gatawey and I haven’t Zeegbee/Decons/ZHA or other USB dongle…

If I power off the Ikea Bulbs from the wall switch their status remains “on” and don’t go to “unavailable”. Only some bulbs do this, the others stay always “on” for hours/days. So, your automation give me a fake value of brightness, because in reality the bulb is switched off from the wall.

This happens also in the Ikea App (smartphone). No status updated

My Ikea Bulbs firmware for someone is 2.3.093, for others 2.3.095 (but this issue seems non related to bulbs firmare). Instead, my gateway firmware is 1.21.31.

Thanks

That doesn’t work.
Hub is smart enough to not send the same info to the bulb.
You have to change the brightness.
What I did, create a script:

alias: Control IKEA light
sequence:
  - if:
        value_template: "{{ states(light_name) != 'unavailable' }}"
    then:
      - if:
            value_template: "{{ states(light_name) == 'on' }}"
        then:
          - if:
                value_template: "{{ state_attr(light_name,'brightness') > 1 }}"
            then:
                data:
                  brightness: "{{ state_attr(light_name,'brightness') - 1 }}"
                target:
                  entity_id: "{{ light_name }}"
              - delay:
                  milliseconds: 100
                data:
                  brightness: "{{ state_attr(light_name,'brightness') + 1 }}"
                target:
            else:
                data:
                  brightness: "{{ state_attr(light_name,'brightness') + 1 }}"
                target:
              - delay:
                  milliseconds: 100
                data:
                  brightness: "{{ state_attr(light_name,'brightness') - 1 }}"
                target:
        else:
          - service: light.turn_off
            data: {}
            target:
mode: parallel
icon: mdi:lightbulb-question-outline
max: 50

Then call the script in your code:

alias: "[Contols] Check IKEA lights"
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
    minutes: /5
condition: []
action:
  - repeat:
      sequence:
        - service: script.turn_on
          target:
            entity_id: script.control_ikea_light
          data:
            variables:
              light_name: "{{ repeat.item }}"
      for_each: >-
        {{ expand('light.ikea_lights') |
        map(attribute='entity_id') | list }}
mode: single

I’m using a group that contains all my IKEA lights `light.ikea_lights

Explanations: if light is off, I off it. If it is on, I change the brightness by “1” up or down to not off it nor exceed 255 and back.

This force a message to the light and if it doesn’t work, it is marked as unavailable by HA.

1 Like

Hi Oliver, thanks a lot.

In the script you write:

I don’t understand if I have to create a script for each Ikea bulb or if I have to recall also here the light group of my IKEA bulbs.

light_name is a variable that I’m giving to the script.
It is built on each of the entity_id that are the light group.

{{ expand('light.ikea_lights') | map(attribute='entity_id') | list }}

Oh, OK!
So i have only to group my ikea lights and use it in the script. I’m going to try it. Thanks again!

@Olivier1974:
OMG!!! I love you man! You solution works perfectly!
Kudos and respect!

out of curiosity: why would this still be a useful automation?

in the past, I only did this to keep the gateway alive, and controlling a single light did help. setting a light to its current state.

now I see this being executed to all lights, I am wondering why you would hammer the gateway so often, and it this isnt more hurtful than the original issue.

btw, the Ikea integration suffers terrible performance regularly, requiring restarts more than a few times per day, and even HA restarts now, to complete the integration restart…

GitHub issues for that exist since over a year and no action is taken unfortunately

It is because when a light is physically switched off, the tradfri gateway is not reporting the light as unavailable. It never did unless you change something on the light.

So this script, by slightly changing from time to time the brightness on all lights trigger the unavailable state to be reported correctly in HA. Otherwise, the light remain on/off while it is actually unavailable.

If 5 minutes is hammering the gateway, you can increase the time and/or change the group to only contains the lights that really matters (e.g.: state transition from/to unavailable used in another automation). Note: only include lights that are powered by the main line, otherwise it will drain the battery.

As I said, sending the exact same values did not work for me, the gateway being smart enough to not flood the zigbee network for nothing hence the slight change of brightness.

I see, you are still tackling that peculiar behavior.

I on the other hand am getting more and more frustrated with the integration losing touch with the gateway and requiring reload or worse , restart of Ha…

Don’t you experience that, seems way more impactful and blocking core operation because of unavailability to the system

I do of course.
I bought a sonoff micro for that particular reason that is cutting the usb cord of the tradfri gateway.

I’ve an automation to off/on the sonoff when there is a suspicion of disconnection (I compare some light sensors with the status of some key light bulbs)
If I have reasonable suspicion, I switch the sonoff, wait 1 minute then restart the IKEA integration (I used to restart HA but it seems to be from the past, at least for me)

For all those reasons, I’m moving to a Zigbee CC2531 that is plugged to my RPi. It is not very powerfull but with the meshing, it is working fine (up to 30 devices I think but still not there, for now)

yeah, if only the Ikea Integration would be working properly again we could save ourselves all of that trouble…

I am in the midst of deciding to migrate most to the Dirigera and integrate via Homekit, or add the devices to my SkyConnect ZHA.

unfortunately we see a lot of ZHA issues too, so that makes me hesitant to move over all of these devices (I have a bit more than 30).

Technically, Zigbee (and ZHA) are not limited in number of devices.
But the small CC2531 that was originally meant to do zigbee sniffing and that I flashed for zigbee2mqtt is not strong enough to handle more than 30 devices or very poorly probably.

I bought it a long time ago to test some devices, now it is becoming my main Zigbee hub.