The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave

I don’t like when someone closes down a legitimate discourse on a technicality without at least acknowledging the concerns raised. Reading that thread does not make me feel better about the future of ZWave in HA, or the overall direction of HA in the first place. Frenck needs to at least acknowledge the current state of the OZW project.

1 Like

I also have to agree that the development (at least the visual/usable one) is at least bumpy…

Edit: although I am overall very happy with what is there now!

I have about 60ish devices total including 2 Schlage smart locks. Schlage locks are known to not be the greatest Z wave devices, so they have some issues, OZW or not. For me, they randomly dont report when they’re locked locally at the lock itself (button or manually). Ill get a notification that my door is unlocked, even though I know its locked, then have to “lock” it again from HA to get it to change state. Since upgrading to OZW a few months back, this issue is more regular than before.

As for scenes in Node Red, you will have to modify your flows a little, but the functionality is still there for all of my devices. I can’t speak specfically about WD200 switches.

I have a similair setup. 60ish devices. Schlage lock (be469 and fe599), but I’ve found them to be very stable. No issues, so it just might depend on your lock and your firmware? I have a lot of older and some newer GE switches and dimmers. All work well. I did have some issues with losing double tap on some of the newer GE switches, but there was a workaround to get it working. (posted somewhere in the community) Other than that I am very happy overall. I love that it’s seperated out from HA, makes reboots a breeze for zwave. I’ll say twice in the past few months, I’ve had OZW crash twice. Just randomly. I restarted the docker and HA and all was good again.

I moved to ZWJS this week, it’s stable, has responsive developers, and allows me to take advantage of newer device profiles (that OpenZwave 1.4 didn’t support). It’s noticeably more responsive than than HA built-in zwave to issue commands. In an open source world go with what’s being actively supported and developed. That’s not OZW right now.

5 Likes

Cross-posting for visibility / break-out discussion:

2 Likes

Ouch, that thread got ugly. It does seem as though HA doesn’t realize that Zwave is truly at the core of many users’ setups. It certainly doesn’t make me feel good about the project at the moment.

10 Likes

Hi Foxy82,

Did you find a solution for your Fibaro Roller Blind issues? I am experiencing problems as well.

I also tried OZW Beta 1.6 Z-Wave integration and my Fibaro Roller Blinds worked inverse.
On the old 1.4 standard Z-Wave integration I could Invert these in yaml;

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
device_config: #!include zwave_device_config.yaml
cover.cover_kitchen:
invert_openclose_buttons: true
invert_percent: true

don’t know if you can also do something similar in the openZwave 1.6 beta.

Standard 1.4 Z-Wave integrations works the most stable and got the most Z-Wave devices connected.
Also keymotes like Fibaro & WallMote works if you add scene codes in ZwConfig file.
My chinese unknown PIR sensors are also recognized.

With the OpenZwave & Zwave2MQTT they all sucked. Were not detected, did not work, wrong type of variabels (ex. Boolean for dimmer value of Fibaro Dimmer, …).
I did the test 6 month ago and tried 2 days ago again and these beta Z-Wave integrations still suck big time. I’ll stick to the old default Z-wave 1.4 which is most stable. (works far less than my old FHEM Z-wave integration system).

Hi Monty,

Did you get the old default Z-Wave 1.4 to work with the latest Home Assistant OS & Core?

yes the default (old?) standard Z-wave integrations works perfectly:

afbeelding

See below my devices : Fibaro, Zipato, Qubino, Fake? AeoTec Wallmote & Sirene.

I moved to OpenZwave which works for open/close and a percentage. The only thing that wasn’t working last I checked was the “Stop” button (although I’ve seen some issues/fixes/discussions around this recently so might be fixed now). The stop button wasn’t really a deal breaker for me as I’d just set a percentage or use the on wall control if I wanted to stop it at a certain point.

OpenZwave has worked perfectly for me and closes my windows every night for me.

Ok, and whenever manually changing the percentage at the fibaro - will the value be updated in Home Assistant?

RAZBERRY2 professionals here?

A little late, but I have a similar issue.

I have multiple GE/Jasco dimmers/switches including a 3-speed fan controller. These are all non zwave plus and they aren’t sending a refresh so that when I manually use any of these switches, they don’t send their state back to OZW/HA. These can be controlled with HA without issue including automations. Manual operation is the only issue. Without the devices reporting their state, some of my automations have stopped working.

My newer zwave plus switches/bulbs do not have this issue.

Anything that can be done about this? Is it just me?

Add polling, but it can slow down your network if you poll to aggressively. I only poll devices that are frequently used. I have the same switches and dimmers and have been slowly replacing them throughout the years.

You all see this?

3 Likes

This thread’s title needs to be renamed. Clearly, OZW is not the future of Z-wave in HA.

4 Likes

Maybe good to keep it for historical sake. Haha

Very exciting news! Thanks for sharing!