The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave

@freshcoast You’re a legend! I recreated my container with the openzwave/ozwdaemon:build-96 image which did indeed put a whole bunch of files and folders in my local config folder. Then I went back to the latest image. At first, nothing changed once I connected OZW Admin to the container but that was because HA was running and still using the Z-Wave network. Stopping HA freed the network and fixed that problem.

This is a huge leap forward for me. Thank you so much! :bowing_man:

Hi, I have it again… Zwave device unavailable reboot of the addon does not help.

And then manual wake on the sensor:

what’s that?

I already had MQTT installed and working. I installed the new integration and then installed the beta add-on. I set the network key and device in the add-on and started the addon. The log looks correct, i am seeing successful publish:

0200609 16:23:18.621 EDT] [qt.mqtt.connection.verbose] [debug]: Finalize PUBLISH: topic: QMqttTopicName("OpenZWave/1/node/1/instance/1/commandclass/114/value/1125899938070551/")  payloadLength: 501
[20200609 16:23:18.621 EDT] [qt.mqtt.connection.verbose] [debug]: Received PUBLISH
[20200609 16:23:18.621 EDT] [qt.mqtt.connection.verbose] [debug]: Finalize PUBLISH: topic: QMqttTopicName("OpenZWave/1/node/1/")  payloadLength: 1421

However, I am running MQTT Explorer and not seeing anything at all related to OpenZwave. My garadget and openevse mqtt is coming through fine so I know my broker is working properly.

It seems like OpenZWave add-on is not talking to my broker but if that was the case wouldnt i not get “Received publish” as seen in t he log?

I believe it still needs anonymous access. Have you enabled anonymous access?
( if I am wrong, happy to be corrected)

do you mean i need to set my mqtt broker to not require autentication? If that is the case, wouldnt it not receive the puiblish message back though?

I have no authentication (not sure if that’s why) and I see “openzwave” traffic in openzwave topic.

according to ppl on discord, the add-on runs its own broker and then bridges to the broker defined in HA.

I am being told the issue could be that my MQTT broker is not running on my HA box, it runs on a diffeerent machine, it may be that it only works currently with the mqtt add-on?

I just set allow_anonymous true on my broker (our theory on discord was that if you are using a mqtt broker that is not the add-on it requires anonymous since you cant set the mqtt settings for the beta openzwave add on yet) but its still not showing up.

The add-on uses the MQTT Broker add-on included from the Add-on store. If you are using that, set it to anonymous

Okay, Not too sure from here. When I tried it it worked out of the box…

I am using my own mqtt broker running on a freenas box. so if running supervised and using the add-on i guess it just wont work currently?

So basically I am running

HA Supervised
MQTT Broker is running on an external machine (working fine otherwise)
Using OpenZwave beta add-on
OpenZwave Beta Integration

If you use use the OZW add-on from the store, it will need to run Mosquitto from the store as well.
You can run the OZW daemon separately and install it yourself without using the add-on though from what I recall. I think it is listed further up in this thread.
I believe the idea is you can run the OZW Daemon anywhere, even on a completely separate device.

Ok I prefer to keep my setup the way it is so hopefully they will add the ability to configure which broker you want to use when they update the openzwave add-on. I would imagine they could just add the broker and the user/pw to the config options in a future release

EDIT: i decided to just bite the bullet and switch to the mqtt broker in the add-on store afterall. it fixed the issue.

hopefully someone with access to edit the docs can add a blurb about this issue to save others the troubleshooting.

1 Like

I really hope they support an external broker soon too.

add-on config throws error. appreciate your help. thanks

I tried with single quote, double quote and w/o quote also

Same error here. Add-on seems to not take any changes to config without that error.

I’m honestly a bit confused with whether or not I should be playing with the ozw stuff at the moment anyways, since my existing zwave integration is working fine for me, and ozw is still labeled (beta). I just figured I’d start playing with it ahead of time and see how it works. It is not very clear reading around if ‘non-devs’ should be messing with ozw now, or if there is yet to come an ‘official launch’ of ozw (wrt deprecating the old method). If it’s time to tango, I figure there should be some documentation for non-devs on how to transfer from the old zwave integration to ozw (like, delete old integration first or not… should be kind of step by step).

On a side note, is there no way to use the ozw addon without allowing anonymous logins to mosquitto? It would seem more secure if the addon could use an ha user, like the mosquitto addon does.

Add at the bottom of the config

instance: 1

Wrap your network key with "

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Curious if the ozw addon supports !secrets?

[edit: Also curious about the general procedure of upgrading from the old zwave integration. I assume I delete the old integration first, restart, install ozw beta integration and addon, configure addon… then what? Do all the previously added devices/entities have to be removed and re-paired/re-added, or (hopefully) does the new integration get that info from the stick?

No, you will likely need to rename your entities tho.

The steps are outlined on the documentation page quite well. I just followed them today, other than my cover (Garage Door) not working yet, I’ve hit no snags.

Well, the integration seems to only have found my adaptor and 3 repeater zwave devices. It’s not finding any of my sleeping devices… I’ll give it time and see if it gets them on a wake cycle (not getting them when I operate doors/windows… although the data is showing up in the ozw plugin logs, HA is not seeing it).