The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave

Hi, this is starting to become “a thing” I think. My gut feeling tells me “most” people use the addon via home assistant, now and in the future also will.

I have seen it over and over again in this topic that the one is pointing to the other with regards to “I don’t do the addon, I do only QT openzwave” etc.
Don’t get me wrong! i do very much appreciate all the free time and hard work that’s being put into this and where possible I do want to add to that, but I am not a programmer - at all -, just an enthousiastic users that is trying to find it’s way in the wood of opensource - people - product - addon - etc. And the only thing I would kike to see is: it works and it’s kept up to date.

for me it is VERY hard to get a grip of “I have updates this”, “I believe the addon configures a very minimal logging rules”, etc. to even know where I can start to make this work better for me (and others)…

EDIT: having said above.

where in the addon can I see more logging? I can only see in:

1. Supervisor --> Openzwave --> log (but this gets purged when restarting and is not very “complete” I think.
  2. When I use VNC and click here:

But that is not very hand to scroll through and not possible to search.

Any better way?

Only in swarm mode, I believe

No, unfortunately you have to wait for it to get fixed with the addon. Logging by default is captured and placed inside the addon logs.

I have written an issue against the addon and we are waiting for the fixes to come through to add better logging & configuration.

You’re welcome to comment on the issue about the logs

Once everything stabilizes - Of course there will not be a need to “update” the add on as often. But as we are living bleeding edge right now, with Beta, of course I’m going to be fixing bugs often. If the addon works for you (and I believe it does for 90% of the testers) then its fine. For the 10% that don’t, well I take two things away from this:

1. Something needs to be considered about how to handle logging in the addon when things dont work. (see below for at least my long term goal)
  2. maybe you should hang out in the discord channel - There are a lot of “veterans” in there that help out with complex issues (and often solve them!).

As far as the long term solution from me - That log window will eventually allow you to download/save log files etc. (with a few wizards to help with troubleshooting) - But its a long term goal. Btw, you know you can drag that “OZW Logs” window out to resize it, create new windows etc right? - Its not perfect but its a baby step towards helping?

The thing is the addon is NOT updated that often! :frowning:

And you’re complaining to the wrong person. He does not manage the add-on, that’s the core devs.

Yes, that was the point. And no I was not complaining about or to any person, just the observation that I would really like the addon to be more frequently updated.

I don’t think it’s even the core devs (well at least the devs working on the OZW integration are not maintaining that image as far as I’ve seen).

Updating it doesn’t look difficult - just change the git commits hashes, and bump the version. maybe try opening a PR against it when it’s outdated?

After all - we are mostly volunteers here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes! I’m a voluntary user :slight_smile:.

You can set a restart policy on any docker container.

Doesn’t look like you can set timeouts or retries, which was the initial question.

--restart unless-stopped would be the one you’d want to use.

HI Fishwaldo,

First: thank you very very much for your interest and effort you have put into this. I apreciate it 100%.

Second. There are some sensors which dont work for me in the new addon. How can I help in this matter? Sensors not working / recognized are:

• PH-PAT02-B.eu Multisensor 2in1 (by Philio Technology Corp)
  • Battery Powered PIR Sensor V2 (by Shenzhen Neo Electronics Co Ltd)
  • Door/Window Detector (by Shenzhen Neo Electronics Co Ltd)
    >> sold as: “Window/door Sensor Z-Wave Plus NEO COOLCAM” original name

Logs, tests, etc. :slight_smile: willing to test and contribute.

My running test-setup is:

• VM running HA
  • docker with mosquitto
  • docker with openzwave/ozwdaemon:latest
  • (havent had time to figure out the admin tool yet.)

I can easily make a copy of the test-setup. My stable system HA is still all-in-on with basic zwave. switchin between the two works fine.

Kind regards,

Discovery is part of the integration, that’s not Fishwaldo’s wheel house.

To help you’d need to enable debug logging in your HA VM, or specificly components.ozw.

The logs from that should help figure out what the problem is with the discovery process of your devices.
Highly recommend joining #zwave on Discord as well.

1 Like

Think I also have these. Work well for me…

Door sensor gives me 3 entities.
Motion sensor gives me 5 entities.

I’m confused just trying to figure out the delineation of duties surrounding OZW and how it all fits within HA. I’m of virtually no use/help here other than having a somewhat diverse z-wave network of around 80 nodes. I’m fairly certain that being able to readily submit logs could be helpful.

But at the moment I’m at a crossroads where I need to see what might be the best way forward for me now. Since moving from the old v1.4 ozw to the beta addon ozw, my z-wave network has become all but useless. I’m unsure if there was something I did wrong in the migration or something else altogether, but either way it seems as though the majority of people here are not having the kinds of issues I’m seeing. As much as it pains me, I’m perfectly willing to rebuild the network from scratch. Is there a recommended best procedure for doing this? My instinct tells me to uninstall the addon, reset my Z-wave adapter as outlined by Zooz (I’ve done this step once before), generate a fresh network key, reinstall the addon, configure the integration and then get busy for a couple of days excluding/including. I just don’t want to go through all of this hassle only to find out that I missed a critical step or should have approached it totally different. If my best chance at success is a scorched earth procedure like I described, I’m fine with it. Just wondering what those with more expertise think…

I’d suggest detailing the troubles you are having first… maybe its something trivial and can save you the effort of “rebuilding” everything from scratch.

Maybe its something thats not “supported” yet in the Beta and hence rebuilding might be a waste of time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny story.
i have OZW admin running now. but I dont see details on those nodes.
I have the same neocam door sensors, but there must be something off.

I do see the nodes. but they are empty.
Node 20 is neocam motion sensor
Node 11, 15, 22, 23 are door/window sensors neocams.

@ discord now.

Several of my nodes, battery or line powered, and from nearly any brand name and any class of device, sometimes show up and work as usual, sometimes they don’t. When a device is absolutely for sure not working, the manufacturer and model columns in the device listing read . Unfortunately even if those two columns are showing the proper information, it doesn’t necessarily mean the device is up and running. The ozw daemon seems to crash quite frequently and when I start the addon, after about 10 minutes I’ll know what’s going to be working properly or not until the next crash.

I’m running the RPi4 64-bit image with a Zooz ZST10 USB adapter. The problems just seem so widespread and random, that’s it’s difficult to begin finding the root cause. I should add that it doesn’t matter if a node is in the same room as the controller or clear on the other side of the house. All of my nodes are Z-Wave Plus. I eliminated the non-plus several months ago. It may also be noteworthy that at least half of the time that I try to open the z-wave admin app, everything crashes.

The only real upshot to the beta addon that I’ve noticed so far, but for me anyway it’s a huge upshot, is that my GE/Jasco Smart Portable motion detectors are responding in less than 2 seconds. Under ozw 1.4 the response time was greater than 10 seconds (no exaggerating, I timed it).

Just to add info.
I got one neocam/door/window sensor to show up, by pulling out the battery for 10 seconds or something.
after that it showed up.
Just pressing the button should have worked. but pulling the battery helped in 1 case as well.

1 Like