The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave

Forgive me if this was already discussed. I’m having a hard time finding it if it was. Is there an easy way to follow what exactly wad changed in the add-on? I see what is a version number and what looks to be a commit (?) value but I’m not able to find anything with that.

I bit the bullet and moved over all zwave devices from homeseer to this integration. This worked very well for a few days. After adding the last few devices today all open-zwave entities are unavailable. And I have no idea how to figure out where things go wrong.

what I did:
I have the qt image in docker (not as an add-on) and use a docker mosquito MQTT server (also not an add-on). The docker container for zwave seems to connect to mqtt. I see it’s messages via MQTT explorer. The docker images also receives device updates. I see debug messages in the log with state changes but I cannot find any errors there. In Home Assistant I also dont see any errors in the log with regards to open zwave or MQTT.

I rebooted the containers, homeseer, all the rebooting didnt work.

Can you help me out?
How can I make devices available again, can I reforce a scan or something similar?
How can I add more logging to the integration in Home Assistant?
Any other ideas?

If topic: OpenZWave/1/status/ does not contain: "Status": "driverAllNodesQueried" all your devices will say unavailable.

1 Like

Thanks, might be on to something here! It says: “status” : “driverReady”. Do you hve any idea how to get the right value there?

Do you have any battery powered nodes?

Yes, loads :slight_smile: Mostly Motion sensors

Likely they haven’t been cached yet, you’d need to wake them up, usually there’s a button to push to wake them.

1 Like

I’ll try that tomorrow. It’s getting late here. Thanks for the help.

If you leave it over night you may find it fixed by itself by morning. :wink:

Just to try I send a manual JSON to the status topic. I changed the “status” : “driverReady" to “status” : “driverAllNodesQueried" and they are online. so good news! Respons of devices is very slow. might have something to do with the controller trying to query all devices. I’ll guess when that is finished it might be faster tomorrow. Thanks again.

It did, there was a new MQTT message overwriting my manual change, this had the status: driverAllNodesQueried. The slow response is now only for a few devices. I’ll try to heal the network and see how that will work out.

Keep in mind this is not a good solution to slow responses, healing your network should only be done very rarely for events like moving a node to a new location, and adding/removing nodes (usually still not needed).

Okay thanks again! What is best practice then? I have lowered the amount of updates of temperature and similar things. I still look for a way to disable polling, since i saw that setting somewhere. Dont see polling in the logs though. I’m a homeseer refugee. There healing the network (seemed to) work.

Usually slow responses are due to poor signal. You’ll want to make sure you have a decent amount of mains powered nodes to have a stable mesh network.

1 Like

Exactly this. Even while I had mains powered nodes in most rooms, it wasn’t until I added some more nodes in different spots that I was able to reliably reach some battery and mains powered devices. Your house could be weird like mine where certain areas you would think would get great coverage, don’t.

Something strange is going on with my zwave lights in the new beta. When I attempt to turn on a light from the dashboard, it takes 255 seconds to turn on, constantly updating the device itself by modifying the dimming duration and target value fields. I get a massive flood of mqtt and zwave messages.
However, if I go into the Services page of the Developer Tools and use light.turn_on or light.turn_off, with a transition set, it respects the transition and everything works. I’m not sure if this is part of the new openzwave integration or if I’m just doing something dumb in Home Assistant.
Any thoughts?

I recall this being a bug that @freshcoast reported and was fixed.

Ah, good to hear. Any idea where?

Just to share information on my experience.
I had a very slow responding zwave network. cause in my case was I had an unknown node and an unavailable node in it.
Ofcourse, this was actually my own fault, because I had done a factoryReset on a battery powerd device without excluding it first.
But the result was indeed a slow, very slow network.

1 Like

@freshcoast Do you have any more information on this bug?

Thanks!