The Lightstrips choice thread

Oh, how did I miss those? Thanks, great, this looks promising. And the fact that they only give you a regular lightstrip controller, which you can connect to any lightstrip, thats great.

Are you talking about this: Mi. Light Wifi iBox2

I really hope that it’s the latter, don’t wanna get another router :smiley:
Yet I did not find HASS component for this, which one is that? The only xiaomi one I found is for prescence detection based off their router, not this bridge.

Does it work with adressible strips as well? The ones where you control each LED separately?

1 Like

Yes, I mean the Wifi iBox2. It only needs power and a connection to your Wifi. So you can hide it anywhere in your home.

Since 4 companies use the same hardware and just relabel it with their name ;-), the component is called limitlessled. Works also with Xiaomi.

Just by judging the I/Os I would say no. But I do not have the controller.

1 Like

I would suggest this if your going for DIY route

You flash once and are good to go! HASS config example included in github page.

i also have a cheap milight box.
didnt even bother to get it in china, just on amazon.de for 15 euro. (needed it quick as Christmas present)
around 10 euro for the controllers.

10 euro for a 5m RGBW ledstrip and ready. (3 to 6 for cheap rgb works also)

1 Like

Nice. A little cheaper and if setup properly it’s better.
Just a general question: Last time I read about the ESP8266 I concluded that mqtt + ESP8266 + TLS is not possible due to the limitations of the chip. TLS means in this context that just a fingerprint is checked, but no proper encryption. So I concluded that the ESP8266 should not be used with public mqtt servers. Did this change?

Running my own mqtt server, so can’t really help you here.
Maybe you can ask on project topic?

@melagodo Do you know how much standby power is needed by this wifi LED controller?
I saw some others with over 3W and this is pretty heavy if I think about them running 24/7
@Michael_Davydov As you mentioned you’d like the Hue experience, Check out these Zigbee controllers they should work with the Hue bridge out of the Box and with RGBW https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-electronic-ballast-interface-certified/dp/B00NMSQ4QQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490809442&sr=8-1&keywords=fls+pp.
They are not cheap either, but you can use one each 10m strips. so this would actually be an alternative to the short Hue strips.
And they need 0.4W in standby only…

Thanks everyone.

@DavidLP Well, based on the price of milight+strips (what, around 35$ for 5 meters, and then around 20$ for each additional 5 meters…) I’ll be ok if they are not adressible :smiley: Can always start with those and upgrade to adressible later, if needed, I guess…

@derdude1893 yes, this is also a good option, IF it works with hue controller, is there any proof that they work with hue bridge? I know that not all zigbee products works with hue bridge. And it if does not work with it, then it’ll be pretty much useless to me…

@Michael_Davydov
Yes they are compatible. Check out here.

https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/funktechnik/solutions/wireless-light-control/wireless-ballasts/fls-pp-lp/?L=1&cHash=c9c902ccdb43164696acccf81b62b2bd
They cannot do homebridge though but who needs that :wink:

1 Like

If you want to use those you only need a pi zero w running Hyperion to control the strip, this is controllable directly by HA, no need for the bridge.

1 Like

@Bobby_Nobble
If you want to use those you only need a pi zero w running Hyperion to control the strip, this is controllable directly by HA, no need for the bridge.

Hm, this sounds good as well, however it’s hard to get pi zero ws here.

@derdude1893
Great, thanks!

So, it was a good idea to ask about it here, thanks guys, you provided me with a lot of really cool options, which are all much cheaper and\or less time consuming than what I initially thought about using.

1 Like

@Bobby_Nobble - can you elaborate on this? any links etc? I’m very interested in addressable LED strips, and I get the Hyperion and pi zero w - but how does HA handle the control?

“If you want to use those you only need a pi zero w running Hyperion to control the strip, this is controllable directly by HA, no need for the bridge.”

@Michael_Davydov - thanks for posting this - I’ve been in the exact same boat as you for a while and couldn’t make a decision on any led strip controllers etc - it seems there is lots of information, but not all in one spot/post - this was a good post to get some ideas from.

@Bobby_Nobble
similar question as vexter. I use hyperion as an ambilight on the same Pi i have OSMC and HA running, and I can use it in HA. What I did not manage to do so far is the use of effects and dimming.
Do you know a way to show a brightness switch?
Looking forward to your yaml :wink:

1 Like

Yes, my intention was to create a thread, which would include all ledstrip information, a go-to place if you don’t know which ledstrip to choose, etc. Maybe it will even be pinned one day :smiley:

I will add all newly discussed options to the first post later.

1 Like

I think I may have a slight answer to your question @derdude1893 - https://home-assistant.io/components/light.hyperion/

and here - Hyperion component

Exactly where i was about to point you :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s too funny! @Bobby_Nobble

@vexter0944
Indeed I read this thread
seems i did not check it close enough tough :wink:
Ok i know how to setup the effects.

But besides the rgb panel id like to have a dimmer as well as in the picture of my hue lights,

at best which runs together with virtual hue. And i would like to use transition in scripts.
Is there any way to get this going?

@derdude1893 - I’m not sure - I don’t have any of this equipment, so I can’t tell you unfortunately. I’d post in that thread asking the same question. Sorry I couldn’t help!