The Lightstrips choice thread

Thanks for sharing.

Any thoughts on how these zigbee controllers from MiLight compare to this GLEDOPTO one?

GLEDOPTO LED Strips Controller Zigbee RGB CCT 1ID Smart Dimmer Compatible with Zigbee Hub Android iOS Smart Phone App Control Voice Control, for DC12-24V LED Strip Lights (Hub Required, No WiFi) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R32CS17/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D8CF3BY281W9A2SP8TAQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

if you want to use zigbee2mqtt, then i can say that there are still no milight included.

if the controllers from milight are a bit like the older (not zigbee) ones then i doubt that they are real good compared to others. and you must really look closely, because most milight produkts on the market are not zigbee.

Thanks. I think these MiBoxer ones I’m looking at are zigbee 3.0. I guess once you add up the cost of the controller, power supply and strips it’s not far off a decent LIFX white option anyway for a shorter strip.

i think the best thing to do is just compare controllers. (and buy things seperately)

every controller can control 5M or more, and adapters that come with combinations are mostly not that good.

If anyone in Australia is looking for some really cheap WS2811 RGB LED strips, K-Mart are clearance selling a 3m length under their Anko brand for AU$10. The strip is WS2811 (three LEDs per chip, not individually controllable as indicated on the box), waterproof, 30 LEDs/m, and comes with an IR controller and 12VDC plugpack.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/3m-led-strip-lights-magic-43030743/

I cut the IR controller off and soldered a header cable, and used the plugpack along with a 12V>5VDC converter and a Wemos D1 mini for my custom needs. This gives me a 3m length of ESPHome controlled RGB lighting for under AU$20.

are things so expensive down under?
cheap RGB strips are here in europe available for 10 euro for 5m on amazon.
and for 10 euro you got a wifi controller, or for 20 euro a zigbee controller.

You’re right it’s not that great a deal, but slightly cheaper than most on AliExpress plus you get a certified plugpack - and I can walk into the retailer and buy it. I’m no longer having any luck flashing the current supply of WiFi controllers, am waiting on an Athom one to play with.

thank you i will test this tomorrow. I had trouble making this… almost fry my esp32 and the strip

I can confirm, it worked super nice