The Mysteries of Zigbee

Hello,

Have been attempting to move to a majority Zigbee installation, which has involved working through a number of challenges. Here’s the Zigbee map from Zigbee2MQTT.

I was finding the Zigbee units farthest away from the coordinator would often ‘drop off’ the network, so I purchased a Tuya TS0207 repeater. Installed the repeater and well… nothing improved. I thought ok, maybe I need another repeater closer to the Zigbee units that are really far away. So I purchased another TS0207 repeater, and… nothing improved.

I disconnected the devices farthest away and then standing next to the TS0207 repeater I tried to add them again. And… they wouldn’t add? I then stood next to the coordinator and they would add. So all the units with green lines are the ones I successfully connected to the coordinator, but they are the ones that wouldn’t connect to the TS0207 repeaters?

So, tomorrow I am going to try and connect a spare SZ-ESW01-AU to see if it will pair with one of the TS0207 repeaters. I’ve tried all manner of devices, including Xiaomi MCCGQ11LM and similar Sonoff units… but no luck.

Really curious to know what it is that I am doing wrong here?

Which Zigbee stick are you using as your co-ordinator?

I am using a Tubes CC2652P2 Based Zigbee to Ethernet Serial Coordinator.

Sorry no idea… Zigbee2mqtt documentatoin seems to say TS0207 is a supported device, but sometimes Zigbee can have nuances with slightly different implementations of the zigbee protocol that can cause incompatibilities between brands.

Just after doing a google search, it seems like you might not be the only one having issues with this repeater:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/tuya-zigbee-signal-repeater-working-with-zha-and-conbee-2/249329/9
https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/issues/4175

Yes, I’ve read a few similar things. Ideally I’d use the Ikea repeater, but they’ve been out of stock for months here, so tried the TS0207 as it was identified as supported. But yes, I’d say you are right about different manufacturer devices not playing nicely.

I have another idea to try, and if that fails I will just have to wait for the Ikea repeaters to become available. Sounds like a cheap shot, but this why I mostly use WiFi devices :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t imagine those things have much of an antenna.

Have you tried pairing directly to the router device? The permit join button is a drop down and you can choose to pair via a specific device.

1 Like

So, something magical happened… the Zigbee fairies answered my call.

Two days after pairing the Xiaomi MCCGQ11LM to the coordinator and then moving it closer to the TS0207, it appears the two of them decided to connect? But it took 2 days?
ZigbeeMap-Update

I wont complain, but I am mystified how it happened? Only other change I made was pairing a SZ-ESW01-AU to the TS0207.

Isn’t Zigbee fun :slight_smile: