The new Remote RaspberryPi GPIO component - docs not complete?

am I missing something and can’t read between the lines, or indeed the documentation for remote rpi gpio component isn’t complete?

I can’t see there anything regarding the preparation of remote RPi. I assume, that Raspbian is needed, but do I need to install anything else that would communicate with the component?

thanks! I’ve turned on remote GPIO access in raspi-config, but it seems like pigpiod isn’t installed [I’ve got very basic raspbian install, without desktop - this pi is for database + few sensors only]. gonna install it and investigate it further.

pigpiod is not pre-installed on Raspbian Lite. Installing it manually worked for me.

Similar issues here. Managed to get pigpiod running, and confirmed reading a gpio pin with pigs.
Home Assistant still gives this error when starting:

Error while setting up platform remote_rpi_gpio
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gpiozero/devices.py", line 453, in _default_pin_factory
    raise BadPinFactory('Unable to load any default pin factory!')
gpiozero.exc.BadPinFactory: Unable to load any default pin factory!

Tried reinstalling gpiozero, but other than that, I’m lost.

ok, managed to configure but no luck with running the sensor :confused:

2019-06-26 22:51:11 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] Setup of platform remote_rpi_gpio is taking longer than 60 seconds. Startup will proceed without waiting any longer.
2019-06-26 22:56:50 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] remote_rpi_gpio: Error on device update!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 261, in _async_add_entity
    await entity.async_device_update(warning=False)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 377, in async_device_update
    await self.hass.async_add_executor_job(self.update)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/remote_rpi_gpio/binary_sensor.py", line 104, in update
    self._state = remote_rpi_gpio.read_input(self._button)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/remote_rpi_gpio/__init__.py", line 63, in read_input
    return button.is_pressed
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'is_pressed'

@pejotigrek Did you restart HA after setting up the remote RPi? If you make any changes to or restart the remote RPi you need to restart HA before it will connect properly.

Hope that helps.

sure, in the meantime I’ve restarted it many times, as there was a lot more stuff I changed in the config :wink:

finally I got it to work on my “dev pi” with the short cable, but still working on runing it smoothly on “production pi” which stays in garage & has all the sensors - but this I think I can manage.

but the main problem still stands - documentation on this component isn’t complete. I’m thinking about making some edits to doc pages, but 1) never did it before 2) don’t know if I really know “all that’s important” to share & make it complete [need to review my knowledge first], so didn’t wrote it all yet.

How good is this remote binary sensor? I recently purchased a nodecmu, and a doorbell press only changes my sensor for max 2 secs… But the change in HA is instant, so that’s good…

Is this also instant when using remote gpio on a PI? I read in other threads , that’s based on scan interval training… So I can miss my doorbell hits…

Can anyone confirm this?? I was t to buy a PI, but I want to make sure the binary sensors changes are also instant

Thnx in advance

Fabio, I run HA on a Pi 3B+, and have remote GPIO running on a Pi Zero W. In my experience, the binary sensor changes are always instant whenever a button is pressed. I have been very pleased with the remote GPIO performance.

Ok, thnx for the feedback

hi, i have a test rpi 3b+ , but i have this error like in documenation
how to change that to “mock” ?

TROUBLESHOOTING

If you receive an error such as gpiozero.exc.BadPinFactory: Unable to load any default pin factory! try changing the pinfactory from pigpio to mock , this adresses a known issue.

I’m not familiar with that error. This is my config:

switch:
  - platform: remote_rpi_gpio
    host: !secret rpi_zero
    ports:
      17: Pi Switch 1 (17)
      18: Pi Switch 2 (18)

binary_sensor:
  - platform: remote_rpi_gpio
    host: !secret rpi_zero
    ports:
      22: Pi Sensor 3 (22)
      23: Pi Sensor 4 (23)

Edit: Also make sure that ‘Remote GPIO’ is enabled in the config menu of the remote RPi.

Don’t understand, seems that error is also documented, but no solution… Seems lots of users have it

What OS are you running on your pi? I have installed and downloaded latest raspian lite image today… First time I ever installed a PI :wink:

My remote Pi has the latest - Raspbian Buster w/ GUI. I keep it updated as well.

yeah , i have the same : 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-lite

then followed this tut :
https://gpiozero.readthedocs.io/en/stable/remote_gpio.html

dont understand why it works for you

pfff, now downloaded the desktop edition, again followed that tut, same error

One difference between our setups could be different hardware. My remote GPIO is running on a Pi Zero Wireless. Isn’t your remote on a Pi 3B+ ?

My HA is based on HassOS. Not sure what you’re HA setup is.

I didn’t know there was a Raspbian release on 2019-09-26. My remote is running on the 2019-07-10 release, but I have been updating it through apt-get.

I don’t think hardware is the issue… Maybe it’s HassOs? I am running 2.12 build, are you running a beta build? 3.x ?

Since the workaround to change environment to mock, should be done on supervisor itself