Thermostat card precision setting

There are a lot of posts regarding precision that go back to the individual climate integrations; much of this would be obviated by simply adding a configuration variable for step and/or number of decimals to the generic thermostat card. Ideally there are separate settings for the current temp and set temp(s).

Adding such a feature to the basic thermostat card is something I’ve been looking for myself too.

I count myself as quite new to Home Assistant, though I’ve been running a Z-Wave thermostat (SRT-321) and relay (switch) combo together with four smart radiator ‘thermostatic valves’ for about two years now.

I’m quite baffled how this card does not yet have this option.
There’s the really fancy generic_thermostat integration with tons of options. But I don’t need any of that, since my thermostat and relay are paired. I need the thermostat card to set my thermostat, nothing more.
The only problem is that my thermostat only supports setting to whole degrees. I exactly need a precision setting for the thermostat card.

I’ve found [SOLVED] Z-Wave thermostat SRT321 set to 5°C by HA - #15 by Danny2100 but that seems like quite a clumsy workaround.

You can use a template instead of an input number.

There’s also this which could help.

You can either work around it to fix the issue, keep the issue or create a pull request to to suit your needs which is quite an edge case and pull requests that are edge cases usually loiter for a long time and that’s if they are even merged. Sometimes we have to do “clumsy workarounds” when the alternatives require more time than they are worth to fix for an edge case.

That’s the beauty of home assistant. If there’s something that’s not quite what you want chances are you can make it what you want you just have to figure out how.