Thermostat Card with multiple modes/operations

Hi all,

First post I am making. I am relatively new to HA, I have had it running on an RPI4, and now an older HP Elitedesk PC. I love it.

Issue:
I seem to be having a tough time with something I think should be very simple. I know the generic thermostat is the go-to entity and the thermostat card can control this entity, but I would like to have 1 thermostat (I do not care how it looks) to toggle heat, ac, fan, heat/ac, off, etc like the way a regular old thermostat would.

I want my thermostat to have the modes like the card in the left of this picture. But all I seem to be able to create are cards looking like the card on the right.

I was reading through the developers page about how to create a custom entity that would act as my climate entity in my thermostat card but it seems very complicated for something that should be so simple. I would imagine there are hundreds of people trying to do this same thing I am doing?

Have you seen this one? Does heat and cool in one thermostat:

Thank you very much for the quick response! Yes that actually will work. I cannot believe I did not see that sooner. Looking through the HACS repository I actually found another one that should work too.

zacs/ha-dualmodegeneric: Generic thermostat capable of heating and cooling (github.com)

Thanks again!

1 Like

I had that one from Zacs installed before. Had an issue with it, it won’t stop heating. So I asked for help, but never got an answer.

After that I moved to Jethome and that guy is very kind and responsive. And his thermostat worked out of the box :wink:

Oh wow that is good to know! You saved me some time there. I will try both and see how either of them work in my system.

Have you looked at the simple thermostat card and adding the scheduler through hacks.

The thermostat would look like this

1 Like

I have actually used the simple thermostat card but it does the same thing as the standard thermostat card in Home Assistant. The problem with both of them is that they only control one entity which only controls one switch if you are using the generic thermostat entity config. These cards would require you to have a climate entity setup that already has numerous switches and its own logic of when to turn them on and off.

The scheduler I saw before as well, which really just acts as an easier to follow automation schedule that you can create a card for on your lovelace ui.

But thanks for your input too! If the dualmode thermostat entity works out I might use the simple thermostat card to control this entity and it should look like your picture shown.

1 Like