Time to wake up to what Ubiquiti really is

Maybe. But it doesn’t speak well for a company if they completely neglect the security of their consumer products. Even if internally these are two different departments, corporate culture should not allow this to happen. It’s a matter of trust.

Oh man a quick summary, with pictures, of tp links Omada platform.

The controller firmware is almost a month old. I called tplink, their response after talking to a supervisor was “don’t worry about it”. I’ve went to the darkside, I’ve just had it with my existing network dropping clients.

I had a dream machine before and I like the granularity of the unifi interface. Tp-links software is lacking. It doesn’t even resolve hosts, everything is displayed as a mac. Overall though the equipment seemed solid build wise. Metal cabinets for switches, router, controller. Mounting plates and poe inj with the aps. Not to mention cheap.

It’s too bad while there isn’t an integration I was able to easily send the syslog to node red. Parsing would be annoying since it’s all mac’s but it would be possible to get devices coming on/off the network. You could also get an update every 15sec so I’m guessing presence detection would be pretty good. The other features, shutting down ports and such could be handle through the cli.

FWIW, I’m using the EAP245 access point in a heterogeneous environment (pfSense and D-Link switch). It’s been providing solid performance. DHCP and other L3 services are provided by the router, and the Omada software, which is running on a Windows 10 host, is functional but still evolving. I admit it was a bit tricky to get it installed with the database, Java dependencies, and such. Host names and IP addresses are resolved (probably via ARP and/or local DNS in pfSense).

Welp, they’re hardly the only ones being utterly careless with their users data security.

Massive privacy breach at Eufy last week: Bug Exposes Eufy Camera Private Feeds to Random Users. Technically not really a breach, but shows how careless companies are with sensitive data. In Eufy’s case, they decided to reuse customer token IDs in different countries because you know, what could possibly go wrong…

This really shows (once again) how important it is to keep your data as local as possible and only use the cloud if you absolutely have to.

I liked most things about omada but the idea of sending out an update that break their firewall is too much. Then after setting up omada and ubi, it’s frightening how similar their software is. It’s basically a copy.

At the end of the day I’m pleasantly surprised with ubi’s open source documentation. It runs podman which is similar to docker. There are a few projects that let you load wire guard, ad guard, pihole, etc right on the router. If I can get the onboard hard drive bay operating like a NAS I’ll be happy.

1 Like