Timer out of sync?

I moved to a NUC from a rPI3 and my constant Timer out of sync is now gone. I think this is a sign of just trying to do too much on a rPI.

There is an open github issue about this: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/7133

Iā€™ve already tryed to disable almost all of not necessary for my config, but the problem still remain, so the last way is to try the new most powerful SD card and even if the last job fails think I will move to an old Atom board that Iā€™ve in the closet!

When I was on a rPI I even tried tmfs for the database and logs but still had the timer out of sync. So I donā€™t think it is disk IO related. I suspected just too much going on causing things to take longer then expected.

I donā€™t worry about it. I have a 1 week new install with 6 entities total in HA and 1 automation. Nothing complicated and I still get them. I run 3 different HA on a RPi2, RPi3 and a mac and they all get this error.

I get this every time I load up the webpage or reload it. Even with a configuration with nothing in it but the base.

Hi, I am running an instance of HASS.IO with last HA version on a PI3.
Just a Sonoff switch and a couple of sensors (Sonoff Pow) and I get the same timer out of sync messages precisely every 5 minutes and 30 seconds.
In the previous version there were none of them. Same configuration file.
Just for your information

I think this error only happens on devices that donā€™t have a RTC. Can anyone confirm?

Not according to this: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/7133#issuecomment-353336231

Thank you @Human. I havenā€™t seen that post beforeā€¦

Iā€™m thinking of setting Hassbian up on my intel nuc instead of my Pi 3 but itā€™s a lot of work and not sure if this is going to fix the issues one thing I do thatā€™s a bit dif with the Pi is I boot from a USB stick not sd card but I canā€™t see this causring the issues as Iā€™ve been running it from USB for almost a year on previous versions without issues. I was thinking maybe my network is too busy as I have lots of sonoffs I think 9 and then many other wifi devices contesting my wifi.
Although my Pi is connected via Ethernet Iā€™m picking if thereā€™s to much wifi traffic or modems getting hot it could cause time out of sync and lag issues but Iā€™m just grabbing at ideas

Also when I ran that top program in terminal it shows two instances of Home Assistant services running is that normal or is there a extra service running that shouldnā€™t be causing lag

Can you please give us the details of your nuc? Thanks.

yeah, I didnā€™t get around to going back to 0.60 and it started happening again. It just wasnā€™t as bad as in 0.60.

That was also with me offloaded 95% of my automations to node-red (which takes 4-5% cpu tops) and tweaked a couple sensors so they would push less data through HA right after rolling it back.

Iā€™m probably going to keep rolling HA back until it becomes stable, because I donā€™t really use any of the new features released since 0.50, which it worked fine for me then.

If you have streaming services on your network, it might cause the sluggish feel. 9 Sonoffs reporting every few minutes will not be a problem, unless one of them has gone rogue and is generating lots of traffic.

Can you watch top and see if there any changes when a timer out of sync message occurs.

It shows two processes under the homeassistant user, but its not clear what the other process is doing. The top section showing the program running is normally to the right of what is displayed on your image.

It could be one of your components spawns a process, and that is what is displaying here.

Hello.

Since I upgraded from 0.58.0 to 0.60, I also started having these issues. After some troubleshooting, I found these to be caused by xiaomi_miio devices like Xiaomi Philips Light or Xiaomi Smart WiFi Socket and Smart Power Strip.

Looking into the forum, and I found this was actually being caused by underlying python-miio package, as per GitHub pull request 11232. After manually applying the changes in the files and rebooting HASS, python-miio was upgraded to 0.3.3 and issues seem to have disappeared.

Still then, today I noticed that the issue comes back again in case a xiaomi_miio device is actually unavailable in the network (I have a Xiaomi Philips lamp that was turned off physically).

Dec 29 12:02:42 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:02:42 ERROR (MainThread) [miio.device] Unable to discover a device at address 172.16.23.32
Dec 29 12:02:42 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:02:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
Dec 29 12:04:18 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:04:18 ERROR (MainThread) [miio.device] Unable to discover a device at address 172.16.23.32
Dec 29 12:04:18 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:04:18 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
Dec 29 12:06:24 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:06:24 ERROR (MainThread) [miio.device] Unable to discover a device at address 172.16.23.32
Dec 29 12:06:24 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:06:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
Dec 29 12:09:00 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:09:00 ERROR (MainThread) [miio.device] Unable to discover a device at address 172.16.23.32
Dec 29 12:09:00 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:09:00 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
Dec 29 12:12:07 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:12:07 ERROR (MainThread) [miio.device] Unable to discover a device at address 172.16.23.32
Dec 29 12:12:07 hassbian hass[3191]: 2017-12-29 12:12:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting

@syssi: Do you think this is something that can be improved, as the component/HA becomes slow and unusable when this happens?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

1 Like

Todayā€™s errors log some more bugs.

Timer got out of sync. Resetting
6:47 pm core.py (ERROR)
6:37 pm core.py (ERROR)
6:36 pm core.py (ERROR)
6:34 pm core.py (ERROR)
6:28 pm core.py (ERROR)
5:36 pm core.py (ERROR)
Heartbeat timeout, resetting connection
4:37 pm /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pychromecast/socket_client.py (WARNING)
3:39 pm core.py (ERROR)
Error handling request
3:39 pm components/websocket_api.py (ERROR)
Setup of platform cast is taking over 10 seconds.
3:13 pm core.py (WARNING)
3:13 pm core.py (ERROR)
2:37 pm core.py (ERROR)
Error doing job: Fatal read error on socket transport
1:30 pm /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py (ERROR)
Error doing job: Fatal read error on socket transport
1:30 pm /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py (ERROR)
8:34 am core.py (ERROR)
8:34 am core.py (ERROR)
CLEARREFRESH

No wayā€¦ moved to a brand new ultra fast SD Samsung Pro Plus UHS-I but the error persist.
Tried also to do a blank new installation of HASS.io and the error jump out also just after installation finished! before Iā€™ve made any config.
At this point my guess is the problem is hardware related.

Have you tried disabling your this component?

Donā€™t think so! Many of us have these problems. Looks like itā€™s related to the Pi(3?) architecture.