Tips for dimming 8 separate light groups

Hi all,

I’m a great fan of shelly devices, especially their dimmer variant. But I rewired a part of my house and had the opportunity to make a extra electrical box where the cables of 8 light groups come together.

I would like to dim all the lights, but I don’t want to end up with 8 single shelly dimmers on WiFi in 1 box.

Does anyone know a multi channel dimmer preferably with ethernet that works with HA?

Thanks

Rick

How big is the box? What is the powerdraw on each group? What are you dimming? Which region are you located? What voltage are you on? How are the groups wired? is there a neutral in the box? Why did you just use candles? What is the meaning of life?..

Tldr: Give way more info.

1 Like

Hi,

Haha fair point!

The electrical box is behind a closet it’s around 50x30x15cm. If needed I can add another box.

Mostly 2 or 3 lights per group (around 4w led spots)

Europe / Netherlands ( 230v )

All the wires from the lights and switches are routed to the electrical box.

Neutral is present.

Candles are nice, when my generator is not working anymore. :slight_smile:

Also ethernet cable present. I like to use cables where possible. Maybe a PLC with dimming modules?

Shelly pro series is missing the DIN rail dimmer with ethernet :frowning:

Would like to be able to dim all groups separately with pulse switches and local control (just like shelly) with pressed/dubble-click/hold functionality.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Rick

You might want to consider KNX, it has all the components you need. Bit pricey to start but its rock stable and loooooonnnggg support! I have installed houses 20 years ago which i added new components to the last years and everything just works old/new no problem.
And works fine with HA KNX - Home Assistant

For example:
8v dimmer
KNX powersupply with IP interface
Many other options available
You will need ETS to program, in a small system the Lite version will do fine

Thank you for the suggestion.

I know KNX but I think it’s way to expensive for some lights I’m seeing €600 + €300? This would only be for dimming some light. Shelly can do the same for €20 × 8 groups (But wifi…)

But that’s personal opinion. I’m having some ethernet devices on arduino and stm32. But these are simple circuits and out side and in the garage. I’m considering to make a custom PCB with dimmer functionality, but I like the certification that come with products like shelly etc.

I found something, looking for something like this. But don’t know the price and details.(yet)

https://www.p5.hu/index.php/products/ethernet-modules/265-fnip-6x2ad

Other suggestion are still welcome! Would be nice to know if HA integration is possible in some way.

Rick

Hi,

Small update on the 6ch ethernet dimmer. If you make an account then you can see more information.
Pretty interesting devices.

I emailed the company for the price:
If you purchase as a company, the FNIP-6x2AD costs € 325 plus shipping.(€10-30).

https://p5.hu/index.php/products/ethernet-modules/265-fnip-6x2ad

I copied the text from the page with the details of the details. so you won’t have to make a account.

---------------------
Robust Operation

• All-in-one dimmer
  • 6 outputs for switching and dimming 6 lighting circuits
  • 6 galvanically isolated digital inputs for contact sensors or manual operation
  • Overheat protection (both from software and hardware)

Ultimate Flexibility

• Switching any load types
  • Both trailing and leading edge dimming (dimming of resistive, capacitive and inductive loads)
  • Automatic load type detection
  • Switching (On/Off) any loads
  • Possibility to combine two outputs for more wattage
  • Standard DIN Rail mount
  • Voltage, frequency, power consumption and temperature metering
  • 100 dim levels (800 level hardware resolution)
  • Preset dim level – outputs will go to that level when turned on
  • Dim level memory (if preset dim level is set to zero) - modules recall their last dim level when next turned on
  • Adjustable minimum and maximum dim levels
  • Adjustable ramp rates

Enhanced Connectivity

• New TCP/IP interface offers remote control and advanced management
  • Built-in web server for configuration, control and monitoring
  • Operation via the local computer network or over the Internet
  • Remote control and monitoring from network enabled smartphones and tablets
  • Multiple users with different user rights
  • TCP communication with simple ASCII commands
  • Available communication protocol
  • Automatic event reporting of input and output status changes
  • Firmware upgrade via LAN

Industry-Wide Interoperability

• Easy integration with home controllers
  • Interoperability with any momentary contact switches available on the market
    ---------------------

Still looking for maybe some cheaper solutions on ethernet, suggestions still welcome haha

Hi there, did you find anything cheaper or did you end up going with the NIP-6x2AD? I’m doing new cabeling in a house and this sounds like an interesting solution. I was planning on using something like the Phoscon Cobold but figure something wired (e.g. by ethernet) would be more stable.

Thanks!

Hi, I have the same question. Did you end up buying from that company? I was given a different price: € 799 for consumers.

I expect something like this can be easily and quite cheaply self build, like @Johanf pointed out already in another thread:

But instead make use of this dimmer board here (or two of them to get 8 channels):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001713267386.html

1 Like