To poll or not to poll (GE, Aeon, Ecolink devices)

I’ve seen one showing relationships with entities and automations, scripts, etc but not zwave. I’ll take a look.

Do a search on the forums for the zwave mesh mapper - does exactly what you want

This is crucial information if we can get to the bottom of it.

I initially used the GE switches, not being familiar with the status issue. This caused lots of headaches and frustration, and I’m pretty disappointed in the result after the cost and work involved.

Once I understood the issue, I started springing for $50 Homeseer switches. These work brilliantly, but I’ve got at least 10 more switches to go, and the cost adds up.

If I buy the newer GE switches with zwave+, will instant status now work as well as it does on the Homeseer switches? Can anyone verify?

You can get a table format connectivity matrix by looking at the zwave log after running a network heal.

Maybe not as entertaining as a graphical view, but it has all the same information.

I do not have the new 14XXX series GE devices. However, one of the links I posted (and even in my post I call it out) says even the new series does not have instant status updates, but it supports OTA firmware updating, so it’s possible they may support it in a future update.

The new Leviton that are ZWP and the new GE plug in modules (14XXX) also have issues. They need to be polled; as well as if a dimmer the refresh option turned on.

The problem is with dimmers the hail functionality doesn’t work well as a work around. One way to fix this is to set the dim fade in/out on the switch so it doesn’t hail so many times (per step). A slow fade in/out means a hail for each step and this takes a lot of network bandwidth (remember Zwave is a SLOW network).

You can actually cause some Zwave network challenges by just having a chatty dimmer and turn it on/off repeatedly. This is because hail is prioritized over other traffic. For network geeks this is in essence a broadcast storm on a slow radio network thats set to reroute and retry for reliability :wink:

The switches that work 100% reliably for me are HomeSeer. There is also a HomeSeer knock-off that works; by ZWD on Amazon. From what I can gather these are built in same factory but some different firmware branding. They used to also be called Dragon Tech or something. About $15 cheaper a switch. I have some of these and they are identical; except my OCD tells me they feel a bit cheaper to justify buying the more expensive brand.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hi, I have put in a feature request to add optimistic mode to the zwave component. This should help the behavior we are seeing and lessen the need to add polling for each GE devices, at least in the UI where the switch flips back to the previous state.