To Proxmox or not to Proxmox

Exactly the same reason. It is easy to move the Pi around and get the optimal signal for the networks. Also, restarting HA does not restart the networks.

2 Likes

I’ve been running Home Assistant on Proxmox from the start, since I’ve had my share of bad experiences with RPi and SD cards…

First install was using a script I found on Github. Did a perfect and clean install. I did have to reinstall HA later, but due to my own mistakes.
I later installed Home Assistant following the guide by JuanMTech on Youtube. Basically just downloading and running the QCOW2 image. Been running great so far.

Added value of a hypervisor, be it Proxmox or something else, is that you can perform back-ups of the whole image as well.

Great! I have almost the same setup. 1 HP T610 and 1 HP T620. Low power and perfect with Proxmox. Ive tried Virtualbox on Win10 before and Ubuntu server with KVM/Qemu.
Proxmox is there to stay for me, wouldn’t want anything else :smiley:

I’m not sure there is any advantage given by using ProxMox. It’s just one more thing to maintain maybe. On my own NUC, I use simple Docker. Home Assistant and a number of other things are running easily in Docker containers. If you want a nice admin interface, also install Portainer on Docker. It makes it really easy to limit resources available to Home Assistant, automatically update, etc.

Proxmox offers so much more in potential. The only question is if you see yourself utilizing it.

Nobody in this thread has talked about ZFS yet. Proxmox offers native ZFS.
Take this into consideration when you want to have a reliable server for HA (or possibly anything else for that matter.) No more silent data corruption.

If you are ever reluctant to upgrade your HA software because you are afraid of errors and failures, use proxmox.
Simply create a copy of your running VM, shut down the original. start up the copy, upgrade and test. If it is all ok, you can stick to it. if not. simply delete the copy, and restart the original. As if nothing happened. No fuzz in safemode and trying to restore a snapshot etc.

Anyway. It is a personal choice. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was getting tired of all of the recent support problems with my Ubuntu Supervised HA installation so I just switched to Proxmox with a HASS OS VM and HA runs just as well as before.
I no longer have to worry about compatibility problems, now or future, and I really like the ability to make a full VM backup. It’s fast and easy and allows an easy restore of the VM in case of software or hardware problems without having to re-install HA all over again.
I knew nothing about Proxmox prior to this and was able to do this with the help of Kanga who’s guide found here: Thanks Kanga!
Installing Home Assistant using Proxmox - Community Guides - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
I should have done this months ago.
my 2 cents.

3 Likes

I discovered Proxmox about 1y ago because I wanted to have 1 system that could run multiple services in an isolated way.
On top of that I was looking for a way to share multimedia over the network without having to run a NAS or whatever separate system.
Knew about the existence of containers and had some experience with virtualization. (desktop & Esxi)

All this came together with Proxmox and I think one of the reasons would be if you want to run multiple systems without having to install different physical machines.
My Proxmox runs 6 containers & 2 virtual machines and it’s very easy to install an additional system for a test or whatever.
That on top of all the other advantages that have been mentioned in this thread.

Of course, you will have a single point of failure since all this is on 1 machine.

I backup all of my vm and lxc containers to a external ssd via usb because of a single point of failure since all this is on 1 machine. :worried:

I’m very glad I have decided to go forward with the Proxmox setup. Started with a Unbutu Supervised VM but switched over to a HassOS VM now and everything works like a charm. I run all add-ons (MariaDB, MQTT, Zigbee2MQTT and NodeRed) in HA right now. That’s something I will change later on maybe. Running those in separate containers/VMs or on a Pi. I’m checking out the advantages that would bring? Anyway Proxmox offers me a great environment to play around and test with it before I ‘deploy it to production’ :smiley:

I’ve created a share on my NAS and created a daily, weekly, monthly schedule to backup my VMs there. That should keep me out of trouble

2 Likes

Here’s a Node Red in Proxmox LXC container script that works well.

See it like.
4 Eggs in one basket, or
4 eggs in four independent baskets. But with a bit increased difficulty and learning more about linux. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then get 2 machines !
Problem solved ! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

What is the advantage of using NodeRed into a LXC Container rather than as HA addon?

Is there anyone that has already upgraded to new HassOS 5.8 and HA Core 2020.12.0 in a Proxmox VM ?
Actually I’m on HassOS 4.17 and HA 0.118.5.

Thanks

I really have no idea. :no_good_man:

Wondering the same thing. I don’t want to upgrade until I know that both upgrades work properly.

For this version, I wanted to start fresh with the new hassos_ova-5.8.qcow2 virtual appliance. Uploaded my snapshot at the onboarding page. Everything went perfect. But, I see no problem updating your existing VM. Backup first just in case. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The things I can think of is that you keep your HA VM clean with only the services needed for HA. That way on a reboot of your VM, or restart of your HA core all other services, like for example, MariaDB, Influx, NodeRED etc. will not be impacted and keep running in their own LXC container. And it’s easier to back-up and restore seperate add-ons/modules. For example if you have been playing around with some NodeRED flows and fucked it up, you can just restore your NodeRED LXC container and the rest of HA will not be impacted.

I just did, no issues whatsoever

1 Like

I dit both upgrades yesterday evening (after a VM backup of course). No problem… so far.

2 Likes

I have all my HA stuff in LXCs, with the exception of Deconz - that is in a KVM for the USB passthrough (it would work with a LXC but a load of hassle I found).

HA in python Virtenv, Node Red, mariadb, home bridge, nginx, pihole and zone minder all in LXC. I have deconz in a KVM and a few things in docker on a Ubuntu KVM.

The benefit I find is that although there are more moving parts, one system doesn’t break everything nor does an upgrade spell disaster. LXC backups are fast and restoring is fast too.

I find the NUC runs a lot better and uses a lot less resources than putting it all in docker or a KVM. My ‘prod’ LXC HA ticks over on about 500-700MB whereas by Dev KVM HA uses 2GB RAM almost constantly for example.

Everyone has different use cases though and different levels of knowledge. I implemented and manage two now six node enterprise Proxmox clusters for work based over 1000 miles apart containing many LXC, KVMs and docker containers, so I am quite comfortable doing this.

Each to their own though and what i love about having options is that we can all choose what is best for our scenario.

mb

3 Likes