To Proxmox or not to Proxmox

+1
I am nearly so far I will jump ship to running my own HA LXC, and manually add other containers/plugins.
only Samba is nice and easy. the entire folder structure at your fingertips and browse to it to edit any file.
but I myself am a little bit stumbling on this as well. needs some more love from me to figure out.

If you have a good tip in this, please let me know :slight_smile: :smiley:

off-topic:
just to note.
If you run adguard as DNS server, and your proxmox server is down for some reason, you might endup with a homenetwork with devices that cannot see eachother. I had this once or twice. not good for the WAF.

I solved (read: I wanted a new toy) this by buying a unifi UDMpro*. This router is solid and linux based. I am running Adguard on there in a podman container. Has been stable since I bought it. sticks after updates+reboots.

. * no, I dont own unifi shares :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Has anybody upgraded their Home Assistant Proxmox from 6.x to 7.x yet?

Given that HA is kinda a mission critical thing in our house, I was curious to see if anyone encountered any issues. I know that the latest first-time install is on Proxmox 7, so it must work. But migrations are rarely with out some form of gotcha, thus the question. Thanks!

1 Like

Whats the benefit of using proxmox?
I want to install Hass on my hp t620 thin client. It’s running Ubuntu 18.04.
I see people here installing Hass with proxmox on thin clients.

I’m a newbie on installing Hass on a thin client…

I have, and no issues. But thats not saying you won’t of course.
I have read about users having some issues.

in lxc config files containing commands with cgroup.xxx (like “lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 166:* rwm”) These sometimes changed/moved to cgroup2.xxx. Causing some containers not to have working devices.
So if you get a message in the log about that, this is solvable.

regards,

The easiest/safest way to do this is to do a full backup…then install Proxmox 7 and add Home Assistants a container…restore your backup and you’re done. Less than an hour and you’re done. Just follow the cookbook :slight_smile:

Note: I just did a complete reinstall on a Nuc8 following this yesterday.

1 Like

Thanks all, I will back up everything and give it a try. What could possibly go wrong? :wink:

how did it go?

Have not done it yet. For some reason, the Vm backup process keeps failing. Maybe I have a disk issue, but it’s not clear and this error seems to occur for some people.

HA is totally backed up, so worse case, I’ll have to install it all over again, which is a pain. I’ll schedule this for a weekend when I have the time to debug if needed. But today, it’s sunny and 33, so my efforts are best utilized making cocktails on the deck.

2 Likes

I think ghstudio is not talking about VM backup process.

You can safely upgrade to Proxmox 7. Then create a new VM with the mentioned script. And on that VM you can restore your HA backup.

Understood. It’s the “create new VM” part that I’m trying hard to avoid, although it may be inevitable.

In order to get HA running on my NUC, I had to do some networking changes (probably trivial) on the VM. But I also had to do some USB mapping for my Zwave, Zigbee and BT adaptors. If I can’t copy the VM config over (or upgrade in-place), then I’ll have to figure out what I did there as well.

Not insurmountable but, since I don’t live in Proxmox every day, it’s possibly going to be a pain and I’m hoping it won’t impact the current pairing of Zwave and Zigbee devices as far as HA is concerned. Been there with the ZwaveJS migration and didn’t much like it.

I’m generally totally cool with the VM side of things, except where is comes too how the hardware is abstracted. That’s where things can get messy and thus why I will avoid if possible.

I was about to take the leap to do this as well. I had started with npm since it was giving me some issues as part of HA addon. Did you end up finding a good solution for updates?

@tteck Thanks for the helper scripts. i moved all my stuff from esphome add-on to esphome lxc container but I am having issues with mDNS. Do you know how i can enable the ESPHOME_DASHBOARD_USE_PING or the status_use_ping on the container ?

I’m considering moving my solution to Proxmox as well, but so far I’m not sure if or how I can get Intel NUC video acceleration to LSX for Frigate.
Is it only possible way: LSX → docker → frigate container?

Anyone know how to update Zigbee2MQTT LXC container?
I used apt update && apt upgrade -y from Proxmox Helper Scripts | Proxmox Scripts For Home Automation but i am still at 1.27. while 1.28.1 is already 18 days out.

This is my output:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

The instructions are there for you to read.

Hi tteck,
I have just used your homeassistant-core-v4.sh to create a container, the container was created OK on my NUC, but while running the command inside the LXC console (cd /srv/homeassistant && python3 -m venv . && source bin/activate && hass) I have got errors below.

Can you please look at it and tell me how to overcome this?

Thanks in advance and have peacefull holidays!

LubomirH

root@homeassistant-core:~# cd /srv/homeassistant && python3 -m venv . && source bin/activate && hass
Unable to find configuration. Creating default one in /root/.homeassistant
2022-12-24 13:26:00.880 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error setting up integration bluetooth - received exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3037, in _dep_map
    return self.__dep_map
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2834, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError(attr)
AttributeError: _DistInfoDistribution__dep_map

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3028, in _parsed_pkg_info
    return self._pkg_info
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2834, in __getattr__
AttributeError: _pkg_info

File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 97, in async_setup_component
    return await task
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 200, in _async_setup_component
    await async_process_deps_reqs(hass, config, integration)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 379, in async_process_deps_reqs
    await requirements.async_get_integration_with_requirements(
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 51, in async_get_integration_with_requirements
    return await manager.async_get_integration_with_requirements(domain)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 170, in async_get_integration_with_requirements
    await self._async_process_integration(integration, done)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 185, in _async_process_integration
    await self.async_process_requirements(
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 251, in async_process_requirements
    await self._async_process_requirements(name, missing)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 276, in _async_process_requirements
    installed, failures = await self.hass.async_add_executor_job(
  File "/root/.pyenv/versions/3.10.8/lib/python3.10/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 112, in _install_requirements_if_missing
    if pkg_util.is_installed(req) or _install_with_retry(req, kwargs):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/util/package.py", line 40, in is_installed
    pkg_resources.get_distribution(package)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 478, in get_distribution
    dist = get_provider(dist)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 354, in get_provider
    return working_set.find(moduleOrReq) or require(str(moduleOrReq))[0]
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 909, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 803, in resolve
    new_requirements = dist.requires(req.extras)[::-1]
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2755, in requires
    dm = self._dep_map
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3039, in _dep_map
    self.__dep_map = self._compute_dependencies()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3048, in _compute_dependencies
    for req in self._parsed_pkg_info.get_all('Requires-Dist') or []:
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3030, in _parsed_pkg_info
    metadata = self.get_metadata(self.PKG_INFO)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1431, in get_metadata
    value = self._get(path)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1635, in _get
    with open(path, 'rb') as stream:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dbus_fast-1.83.0.dist-info/METADATA'
2022-12-24 13:26:07.097 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error setting up integration default_config - received exception
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3037, in _dep_map
    return self.__dep_map
AttributeError: _DistInfoDistribution__dep_map

File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3028, in _parsed_pkg_info
    return self._pkg_info
AttributeError: _pkg_info

File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 97, in async_setup_component
    return await task
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 200, in _async_setup_component
    await async_process_deps_reqs(hass, config, integration)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 375, in async_process_deps_reqs
    if failed_deps := await _async_process_dependencies(hass, config, integration):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 145, in _async_process_dependencies
    results = await asyncio.gather(
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 90, in async_setup_component
    return await setup_tasks[domain]
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dbus_fast-1.83.0.dist-info/METADATA'

This is a Core issue. The package_constraints calls for dbus_fast-1.82.0 apparently, during initialization, it installs components/dependencies, one which upgrades to dbus_fast-1.83.0 This has been an ongoing issue.

EDIT: The package_constraints shows dbus-fast==1.75.0 before running hass
This has been fixed in the repo

thanks a lot!

I have rebuilt the container and it “frozen” on the line “Unable to find configuration. Creating default one in /root/.homeassistant”, however after reboot of the container I was able to do the other steps and everything seems to work OK.

regards

LubomirH

It wasn’t stuck, there were no errors to report. That’s showing the log output :+1:
You can go to IP:8123 after you run cd /srv/homeassistant && python3 -m venv . && source bin/activate && hass to set everything up. A reboot puts the startup in systemd.