To Proxmox or not to Proxmox

Glad you got it going!
Webmin is a nice addition to a Home Assistant Container setup :wink:

I’ll try it. Now I’m in the process of converting all my docker lxc containers to fuse-overlayfs, hoping not to lose data.

Regarding your HA LXC script, it would be good for ZFS users that want to use the script to have the modified version, or even better, you could manage it automatically in the script (if ZFS then…). :wink:

1 Like

IIRC, you can install fuse-overlayfs for ZFS and if you’re using extfs, it’s going to default to overlay2
So, why not make the script usable for both? I’ve been wanting to switch over to docker.io anyway.
You can spin-up a version to test the theory

bash -c “$(wget -qLO - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tteck/Proxmox/wip/ha_container.sh)”

It’s working good with extfs, defaults to overlay2 (just tried it) you should default to fuse-overlayfs

That was exactly my idea when I wrote “manage it automatically in the script”. My idea was to copy the fuse driver only if ZFS is detected, once it’s copied, and the container config flags are set, docker automagically chooses fuse-overlayfs or overlay2 based on the filesystem used.

Quick things:

1. in the script ha_setup you’re downloading the fuse driver, but you don’t push it in the container. From what I understood, the driver should be in bin and reachable via $PATH in order for docker to pick it up. Also, permissions have to be set on the file. That’s why I used this in ha_container.sh:
pct push $CTID fuse-overlayfs /usr/local/bin/fuse-overlayfs -perms 755
  1. The download and the push of the fuse driver in the container should be done only if ZFS is being used.

2. I’m using this for docker + docker compose plugin scripted installation:

bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jinweijie/install-docker-and-compose/master/install.sh)"
  1. I’m using a central Portainer in a dedicated container, and then I install Edge Agents on the other docker instances so I can manage everything from the centralized instance. Portainer supports “multiple environments”.

I converted all my dockers to fuse-overlayfs…was quite some work, but I didn’t lose any data. HASS is on LXC, no supervisor. Very happy about this setup…:slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the help and support.

1 Like

We’ll get it working :wink:

2 Likes

@tteck On the latest changes of the zwave container, if one had the previous one, what would be needed to migrate to the new changes?

Running the script steps manually inside a pre-existing container should pick the current config/data?

Thank you for all that work.

I have no doubt. :wink:

If you need anything from my side, let me know, it’s a pleasure.

I migrated Z-Wave, it was the last piece. Everything running smoothly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry to say, no, the differences between the two are too great. Although, other than having to start manually, they function identical.

Regarding the apparent “silliness” (I read your msg via email notification, I guess you deleted it afterwards): I have one docker that manages almost all services (12 at the moment) but there’s a couple of services that are quite unique and require specific setups and quite a few resources, so I keep those two in separate containers.

I won’t call you arrogant like someone else did some time ago, because I don’t think you really are and I’ve been accused of the same in the past only because we express directly our opinions probably, but you give easy judgements to things that you don’t know enough (user specific requirements), always remember that a map is not the territory, and that you’re not the only guy in the world that knows a couple of things in this world…:wink:

With respect,

Alessandro

P.S.: in the WIP scripts there was no copy of the fuse driver in the container…at least when I took a look at them yesterday. Double-check that it’s done, if in one script or the other, it doesn’t really matter. I’ll be happy to take another look when/if you feel it’s needed.

1 Like

I apologize if I give that perception, it’s not my intention, nor is it my intention to pass any judgement on anything, I’m also still learning and I guess my wondering out loud or my wording of such, should be questered.

1 Like

I know how you feel, it happened to me sometimes. It’s because we speak our mind a little bit too directly some times, and not everybody is fine with that. No problem with me, I have a pretty “thick skin”. Just wanted to clear out some things since we just got in touch and I hope we can remain in touch in the future since we have a passion in common. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your contributions and the support you give to others, it’s highly appreciated.

1 Like

If you’d be so kind, and test

bash -c “$(wget -qLO - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tteck/Proxmox/wip/ha_container.sh)”

it should now auto detect STORAGE_TYPE and manage everything automatically in the script

Test done: it correctly created an LXC container almost like the one I’ve built. Good job. The only difference is that you chose docker.io which is a little bit older version respect to the script I used, but it doesn’t make any substantial difference.

[INFO] Using 'pve-data' for storage location.
[INFO] Container ID is 116.
✔  Updating LXC Template List...
✔  Downloading LXC Template...
✔  Creating LXC Container...
[INFO] Using fuse-overlayfs.
[WARNING] Some containers may not work properly due to ZFS not supporting 'fallocate'.
✔  Starting LXC Container...
✔  Setting up Container OS...
✔  Updating Container OS...
✔  Installing Dependencies...
✔  Customizing Docker...
✔  Installing Docker.io...
✔  Installing Portainer...
✔  Installing Home Assistant...
✔  Customizing Container...
✔  Cleanup...
[INFO] Successfully Created Home Assistant Container LXC to 116.

I noticed some redundancy in a couple of places of the scripts: if you want, tomorrow (it’s late night here in Italy) I can propose some optimizations through a PR, but no functional changes, purely cosmetic.

Thanks for this, ZFS users will surely benefit from an automatic installation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would really appreciate that! Thank you very much!

I can’t see the WIP scripts anymore…and in the current scripts I don’t see anything related to the fuse-overlayfs driver…what happened? :slight_smile:

:frowning_face: I cleared “wip” out, sorry. Didn’t realize that you’d already forked.
“main” and now “dev” are the same, with the ZFS automatic installation.

But I don’t see the fuse driver installation in the scripts…did you check that?

In my repo?

https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/blob/461e9f985ff215887c6299d68b907d4b04d0378d/ha_container.sh
https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/blob/461e9f985ff215887c6299d68b907d4b04d0378d/ha_setup.sh

I made changes to my repo after you forked (sorry about that), so that fork doesn’t contain current scripts.

Wait, the ha_container.sh link does show the correct ZFS modifications.