To Proxmox or not to Proxmox

fixed the network_mode: host issue. Now I need to fix the privileged one…

:shushing_face: I don’t run privileged (security reasons)

ROTFL! :smiley:

That’s why you said “I try to…” :wink:

1 Like

If we follow the documentation and official recommendations, read the last phrase from proxmox wiki:

That’s the OFFICIAL way. But Docker runs so good in a LXC, using half the resources of a VM.

Surprising benchmark: Running Docker on Proxmox - Dan [the] Salmon (danthesalmon.com)

But it’s not all about speed…efficiency is important too…

2020, need new data for 2022. Lot changed with PVE7

The other advantage of running docker (root) in a VM is also security…with LXC you have less layers…

Because VMs are completely isolated from the host kernel? That’s the only thing that I can think of.
But, I’m no security expert.

The kernel is fully virtualized, so it’s total separation. With LXC you’re reusing the host’s kernel, plus, in privileged LXC containers, the LXC root user is the host’s root user. From a security perspective, privileged LXC containers are not really great. If also performance is better in VMs vs LXC containers…I can understand why many people opt for VMs.

But for low-resource servers…efficiency in the use of resources is critical, and LXC is much better in that.

So there’s no general “best solution”, there’s a best solution for the specific case.

1 Like

Question… is running a Docker container privileged the same as running a Linux container privileged?

Edit: The docker daemon does run as root, and interfaces with the host operating system

two totally different things: “Application Containerization” vs “System Containerization”. from a security perspective, if running in privileged/root mode, both can be used to get to the host. Technically, also unprivileged LXC are not 100% safe, but much better than privilieged LXCs.

So if you want maximum security, VM is the right choice. If you need to make compromises,because you have low resources, unprivileged LXC is the correct choice.

This is what I understood since I started studying these systems 1 month ago, to implement my first Proxmox.

hi i’m going to pass from vmware on windows to proxmox can you explain me how to make a cluster for failover

hi
i’m going to pass from vmware on windows to proxmox and i like the way you organized home assistant separate from others add on. Where can i find a guide to go with your solution?

2 Likes

which script is better for hassio?

Home Assistant OS VM

Hey tteck, Im using ur great scripts since a few months, thanks for this.
Is there a way to update the mosquitto broker, im using 2.0.11 but im seeing theres a 2.0.14 out.
apt udate doesnt work, it gives me a few errors with repos not reachable

EDIT:
Ok sorry, forgot to add the gateway IP.
But still no new version of mosquitto found

What’s the hurry to upgrade? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

1 Like

I dont want to hurry lol, i only like to be up to date :smiley:

1 Like