To Proxmox or not to Proxmox

I actually did explain it but you seem unable to accept any view that doesn’t agree with yours so I won’t bother responding further.

So that’s the reason?

Again, In 2021, I don’t see any need for a supervised install. Unless you can explain why?
Seems like a cult thing, beings it’s only 12% of installs

Because I like to have control over the OS

Ps: You have a weird arrogant way of commenting

Personally, I use supervised to manage addon cache files, setup mounted drives, and scp files into the addon containers. All while not needing to deal with the addons too much. These rare cases have saved me countless hours with zwave, remote storage, and media playback control.

1 Like

Thank you for an explanation.

Hi i am unable to use the scripts since i installed extra ssd & hdd for storage. When i try to use the script i receive the following blue window asking which storage pool i would like to use. VMs -or lvm thin. If i remove these storage options the scripts are OK.
When i try to navigate to the disk nothing happens so the scripts do not load.

I am installing these drives for extra storage, as i keep on receiving warnings regarding WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space. WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools text
I did post this problem with whiskerz007 3 days ago and to proxmox , but proxmox say that it is a script developers issue however have not received any response from developer . Hope you can advise7 help.

Navigating the blue screen is arrow keys and space bar for select. (If the storage was added correctly)

I’ve added a external drive for backups. I followed this guide, and have no problems.

You can also set what the new storage can be used for in Datacenter >-- Storage >-- Highlight drive and select Edit. Multiple items can be selected/unselected.

@tteck I have just come seen your post above pointing to your GitHub repos - they look great!
i am currently running Proxmox 6.4-13 and looking to upgrade to Proxmox 7.
I currently have HA installed on an lxc but keep getting issues with ZHA on a daily basis with a Danalock. I have decided to build out a new LXC from scratch. I see in your repo there are V6 and v7 lxc scripts. Any reason not to install V7 script on a V6 buld, get it built up ready for upgrading Proxmox to V7?

PVE V7 uses LXC 4.0

LXC 4.0 has full support for cgroups v2, a mechanism for hierarchical organization of processes and allocation of system resources. A pure cgroup v2 layout is the default for Promox VE 7.0.

1 Like

Thanks. Silly question then, if i upgrade the current Proxmox 6 install to 7, would the current HA lxc continue to work while i build out the v7 HA lxc? Or is it a case of having to build out everything on V7 with v7 lxc?

Really depends on what’s in your /etc/pve/lxc/104.conf (104 being your lxc id)
you can view it by running this cat /etc/pve/lxc/104.conf in your Proxmox web shell to see if there’s any reference to cgroups.

My scripts have cgroups in use where there’s a V6 (cgroups) or V7 (cgroups2) to ensure installs work with the correct PVE version.

There is one reference:

root@proxmox:~# cat /etc/pve/lxc/105.conf
#Quirks%3A
#https%3A//community.home-assistant.io/t/custom-zha-device-handlers-zha-custom-quirks-handler-implementation/174158/12
arch: amd64
cmode: shell
cores: 4
features: nesting=1
hostname: homeassistant
memory: 4096
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=E6:43:A2:A9:25:2C,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: hdd-img:105/vm-105-disk-0.raw,size=38G
startup: order=1
swap: 4096
tags: homeassistant
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: a
lxc.cap.drop: 
lxc.hook.pre-start: sh -ec 'for module in aufs overlay; do modinfo $module; $(lsmod | grep -Fq $module) || modprobe $module; done;'
lxc.autodev: 1
lxc.hook.autodev: bash -c 'for char_dev in $(find /sys/dev/char -regextype sed  -regex ".*/1:1" -o -regex ".*/4:\([3-9]\|[1-5][0-9]\|6[0-3]\)" -o -regex ".*/4:\(6[4-9]\|[7-9][0-9]\|1[0-9][0-9]\|2[0-4][0-9]\|25[0-5]\)" -o -regex ".*/10:200" -o -regex ".*/116:.*" -o -regex ".*/166:.*" -o -regex ".*/180:\([0-9]\|1[0-5]\)" -o -regex ".*/188:.*" -o -regex ".*/189:.*" -o -regex ".*/24[0-2]:.*"); do  dev="/dev/$(sed -n "/DEVNAME/ s/^.*=\(.*\)$/\1/p" ${char_dev}/uevent)";  mkdir -p $(dirname ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}${dev});  for link in $(udevadm info --query=property $dev | sed -n "s/DEVLINKS=//p"); do    mkdir -p ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}$(dirname $link);    cp -dpR $link ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}${link};  done;  cp -dpR $dev ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}${dev};done;'
lxc.hook.mount: sh -c 'ln -fs $(readlink /etc/localtime) ${LXC_ROOTFS_MOUNT}/etc/localtime'

That’s modifying LXC permissions to support Docker.

This will also be a problem in PVE 7

Damn. Thanks for your help on this - I havent got a clue about it all. Sounds like I should probably either leave the upgrade or move HA to an interim old laptop (maybe installing Proxmox 6 on there), and upgrade the main machine to Proxmox 7 and do the clean install with your scripts then migrate to the new PVE 7.

I guess the DockServer lxc might have an issue too (Plex, Sonarr etc) which has gpu passthrough with the following cgroup lines:

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 226:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 226:128 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 29:0 rwm

If you run pve6to7 --full in the Proxmox web shell it will tell you all problems.

Before upgrading Proxmox, you’ll want to shutdown all VM’s and LXC’s ( I also make them not start at boot untill I fix cgroups) This gives you the ability to change all references to cgroups to cgroups2

1 Like

Thank you so much for your advice. Its really appreciated.
Any ideas for web links/walk through regarding changing references from cgroups to cgroups2?