Toggle switch which monitors power of devices with `standby` states

Hi,

I have Tasmota powered switches with power monitoring connected to a TV and washing machine. Based on power consumption, I know if the TV is on standby or actually displaying some content, likewise, for the washing machine

I shall simplify the states as:

1. Off

2. Standby

3. Working (Let me know if there is a better term)

Is there a way to abstract them into a toggle switch, let’s call it a standby switch, to change between #2 and #3 based on power consumption? The main problem I want to solve is, to be able to tell by looking at HA if the device is standby or working, and to change it to standby if necessary.

I’m perfectly fine if the TV can only be switched from working to standby and cannot be switched back to working again because the power constantly stays low.

Ideally, I want to be able to access this standby switch like any other switch in my automations as well.

Something like this?

Thanks, it seems to be showing an automation. What I’m looking for is a user interface. Or did I miss something? Come to think of it, if I could view all 3 states, that would be even better.

You do not need to switch anything, the automation does that automatically by watching the power consumption.

1 Like

It’s not in english, I’m a little lost. So I create a dropdown helper (input select) + automation, and the automation tells the helper which state they should be in?

What if I decide that I want to OFF the washing machine? Is that single UI able to let me do it?

yes, that’s exactly, what it does.

Do you want to put the washing machine plug off after it finishes the washing?

1 Like

No, I just want to know which state the device is in, and change its state if necessary. Let me try thanks.

Ohh, ok, well, the input helper from above example is able to do that. You can place it on dashboard What you would do anyway, just for watching the state) and change manually.
But, if you define the power consumption numbers in the automation correctly by watching your machine’s consumption, there will be no need to do that.
I use this for almost two years now, it never got a false state.

Hmm, what I meant is, if the TV is on, and I know nobody is at home, I want to turn it off.

you can use the state of the input helper in further automations.

like:

trigger: no one home for 15 minutes
condition: input helper TV is on
action: power off the TV

No, I just want a switch that changes its state based with power first, automations will be separate.

Besides, “No one home” is very hard to get right :slight_smile:

Based on this same principle I even have set this up:

PC in bedroom is on (based on power consumption) → power on the amplifier → set the amp to AUX → set amp volume to 30

PC in bedroom is in sleep (based on power consumption) → power off the amplifier.

I don’t want to merge sense and automation together, it becomes very hard to manage.