Too many updates for ESPHome; too often

You are including beta releases. Which you will not see update notifications for unless you specifically join the ESPHome beta program.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that; so I looked again.
It seems if we eliminate the ones with “bn” (I suppose meaning beta), we get 4 within 1 week ( give or take, between last week and 2 weeks ago).
Am I wrong again?

Two. Count the ones without “b” in the minor version number.

1. It was 2023.9.0, 2023.9.1, 2023.9.2 and 2023.9.3

Four but within more or less one week (last week, two weeks ago).

Sorry thought you meant in the 2 week ago period. Yes 4 in the last 2 weeks.

None of which you have to update to. Just ignore them. Unless you are affected by the bug fixes.

3 Likes

As per what Tom just said, you need the updates unless your ESP devices are using the affected components as per:

I thought we (some of us) agreed that not having to update when notifications come is not a solution.

Thank you Sparky for that image.
So why did the dev feel he had to release 9.1 with no obvious benefit (unless you need tuya scaling) just to release another one 4 days later, that does seem to have some obvious benefits?
And then he probably knew he was going to work on the other “benefits” of 9.3 and even if he didn’t think he could finish them in ONE DAY; we could have waited for it a few days.
So all those could have been one, in my opinion.
I keep saying “he” when it should be “they”; thank them all :slight_smile:

I guess it comes down to how many people (worldwide remember) that were affected by the bug. If you were someone who had a bunch of devices that no longer worked, you would have been pretty keen for that update.

1 Like

Which are the bug-fixes in 9.1 that might have fixed broken anything for anybody?

I didn’t want to get so deep into details here; it feels like it’s a race! It shouldn’t be like a race; it’s what makes bugs more likely in the first place; maybe that’s why so many bug-fix-releases are necessary.
I’m very happy when there’s new stuff I may use, but my happiness is lessened by broken stuff; I’d rather be happier later but without so many shadows.

Both of the changes listed for that update have the potential to cause user issues. The first one some users. The second one all users.

They seemed like new things, not fixes. We just celebrated 10 years; you’d think 4 days later would be OK for new things.

Anyway, I’ll stop here.
If you think everything is Dandy then it is for you, and I hope everything stays the same for you and I’ll keep hoping things may get better.

Nope. New things are not released in minor version updates. Only bug fixes.

They are not marked as bug fix
and I could not see which bug it fixed:
https://github.com/esphome/esphome/pull/5108

Yeah ok that one was cherry picked for some reason:

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 12-22-55 Tuya Number Scaling by InvncibiltyCloak · Pull Request #5108 · esphome_esphome

That usually only happens if there is a good reason.

Bring on as many updates as you can provide!

I see it as an indicator of an active, busy open source community of people. Which is why I am here.

I know I don’t have to update; but I just can’t keep my hand off that update button!

8 Likes

Only in theory :man_shrugging:

Did YOU take part in the beta release testing at all so that the bug fix (point releases) wouldn’t be necessary as they would have all been detected while still in the beta cycle and fixed in the final .0 release? :thinking:

If you are actually interested to help out and in best case make point releases obsolete because you take the time testing all possible combinations (in theory again…) and find all bugs before shipping a final release - that’s great! Here is the link to the beta release channel in discord :point_down:

And in case you are not willing to help out and invest your spare/free time into that open source project you otherwise like to criticize for shipping often and regularly than you might better silently duck out :see_no_evil:

:100:

And their is a good thing with shipping often as the packages of changes are smaller which typical leads to less bugs/breaking changes. Settling with fewer but bigger releases is more troublesome for most people - not only the devs but also the users in the end which most likely get more bugs and breaking changes making it harder to deploy updates with success.

Continuous delivery is a software engineering approach in which teams produce software in short cycles, ensuring that the software can be reliably released at any time and, following a pipeline through a “production-like environment”, without doing so manually. It aims at building, testing, and releasing software with greater speed and frequency. The approach helps reduce the cost, time, and risk of delivering changes by allowing for more incremental updates to applications in production. A straightforward and repeatable deployment process is important for continuous delivery.

So while you @catacluj personally are not in favor of the situation (because you regularly get notifications which annoy you?) it actually is one of the best/modern approaches we have in this time to actually deliver software in a practical manner :muscle:

Also if you want lesser updates might choose another project which fits your needs better. For example the last tasmota release is from august 15th - that’s almost two month without updates! Or maybe even espurna - the last stable was in the year 2019 - that’s like 4 years without update! :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Your suggestions seem to boil down to blaming the user for the problem. Instead of acknowledging the problem, you offer suggestions like turning off updates–which is NOT good practice and is entirely counter to the purpose of “continuous delivery”–or tell them to go elsewhere. Do you realize how unhelpful and off-putting all of that is? Why even engage with the topic at that point?

ESPHome (and Home Assistant) didn’t become as big as it is by treating users like the problem, but by removing pain points in home automation. Frequent update notifications that often require manual intervention is a pain point for many users. Turning off update notifications and having to manually remember to check and update on a certain interval is a pain point. Ignoring updates for months on end only to have a device break as a result of needing to do something as simple as changing a hostname is a pain point.

Users of this project would greatly benefit from a way to regulate the flow better than a binary on/off option–once-monthly or once-quarterly update notifications, for example. Make whatever assumptions you want about this being a hobbyist or enthusiast project, but Home Assistant has been continuously moving towards being more user friendly. This issue will only become more prevalent over time.

The thread author made quite clear that this isn’t “enough” but that this personal problem is really that esphome is “too often” released for his/her taste. :man_shrugging:

While HA has update notifications for some integrations (like ESPHome) the vast majority of integrations probably doesn’t offer such a feature at all. That means “manually” checks are anyways mandatory for the most :see_no_evil:

Actually it looks in total that a stunning of 25 (that’s twenty five in words) of a total of 2569 (not wording this number now) is capabale of provinding “update” (notifications?) according this URL :point_down:

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/#update (that’s less than 1% of all integrations :astonished:)

For ESPHome it is as easy as turning it off. I did this in the very beginning - still I remembered that every month a new major release is dropped and from time to time I do the maintenance (typically together with HA core which conveniently is also dropped every month). The exact same thing I do for my clients or access points - just the ordinary housekeeping :broom:

1 Like