Toon (eneco) integration with Home Assistant

Is the Toon thermostat usable in HA without an Eneco-contract ?

No only when you rooted the toon device. And that is pretty painfull Reading the instructions and in some cases not even possible.

I mean in theory it is possible but this python module is written to talk against the web services of eneco which comes with an eneco subscription.

I tonight I will double check the latest version on my system to sync it with github. I remember fixing the gas unknown issue (it was a typo in the python script).

Is this still an issue?

Ok, but apart from HA integration: as a smart thermostat it is usable without a subscription ?

Sorry I was offline on this topic for a long time. I’m still wanting/planning to do some API development on the toon API for unrooted devices. I’m no programmer so all things I will come across will take a lot of time. Or in case someone else is able to do this?

Things to do:

• create a python module to connect to the toon API instead of web services. Documentation on eneco API page and this toon python module should be enough to understand and develop it.
  • create a custom module for hass and test it in different situations
  • if the custom module works submit it as a new component to the hass github

welcome back :slight_smile:
BTW I wouldn’t mind leaving my Toon rooted and pay for monthly fee but it would help a lot when we can talk via the API from HASS.

Yes, it would be nice to use the Eneco Toon Api! Then we can use a lot more information from the Toon. Maybe also use alexa with it. On the website from the Toon api there is a example of this.

The code examples are in C# and JAVA. And the example application is nodeJS. We need to translate that into python. Anyone who can do that with ease is our hero :wink:

The example application: https://github.com/quby-energy/ToonDemoApplication

I have a ‘bigger’ issue than this one.
I shut down the pi and started it a few days later but now I keep getting the message “Home Assistant had trouble
connecting to the server.”.
I didn’t change anything to the configs before shutting it down or after restarting it so I can’t do anything at this moment.
-edit- Weird, page works in MS Edge but not in Chrome -edit-.

My Python knowledge is zero :frowning:

Added this to my sensor.yaml but it doesn’t show anything.

sensors.yaml:

• platform: template
    sensors:
    zonsopkomst:
    value_template: ‘{{ ((as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_rising)) | timestamp_local) [11:16] }}’
    friendly_name: ‘Zonsopkomst’
    entity_id: sun.sun

sensors:
    zonsondergang:
    value_template: ‘{{ ((as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_setting)) | timestamp_local) [11:16] }}’
    friendly_name: ‘Zonsondergang’
    entity_id: sun.sun

• platform: command_line
    name: Toon_GasUsage
    command: “python /config/scripts/toonclient.py -t -p -g -c -U xxxx -P xxxx”
    scan_interval: 60
    unit_of_measurement: “M3”

scan_interval: 120
    sensors:
    toontemp:
    unit_of_measurement: “C”
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.toon.state.split("\n")[0] }}’
    toonpowerusage:
    unit_of_measurement: “W”
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.toon.state.split("\n")[1] }}’
    toongasusage:
    unit_of_measurement: “M3”
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.toon.state.split("\n")[2] }}’
    toonprogramm:
    value_template: ‘{% if states.sensor.toon.state.split("\n")[3] == “0” %}Comfort{% elif states.sensor.toon.state.split("\n")[3] == “1” %}Home{% elif states.sensor.toon.state.split("\n")[3] == “2” %}Sleep{% elif states.sensor.toon.state.split("\n")[3] == “3” %}Away{% endif %}’

[edit]
Looking this morning the items where added but no values whatsoever
[/edit]

Is this something that could speed up your progress on this ?

No it is not. You can use it as a thermostat, but you can’t set up programs and can’t read usage values for electricity and gas. Without subscription Toon is just a very large dumb touchscreen thermostat.

Ok, I might take this one up but it’s maybe going to take a while. I’ve fooled around with Python before but my programming skills are rusty. This is quite a large integration to pick up for a first time project in HA, but on the other hand getting Toon to work properly, learning Python again and contributing to the community are all high on my wishlist :slight_smile: So just saying this might be too much to handle, but I’m willing to give it a try!

Anyone else who’s wanting to help? Let’s turn Toon into a proper working component and get it featured on the website!

1 Like

I bought a second-hand Toon last week. I can use the schedules (programs), it shows the actual usage gas & power (thru the P1 adapter), it shows weather and traffic info and I can even control my Hue lights. The only thing I can’t use is the Toon app because I don’t have an account. So it’s fully functional apart from the remote control thru the Toon-app.

I am not an Eneco customer nor do I have a contract.

Ok, sounds good :slight_smile: I’m not entirely sure now, I got a Toon with the house I bought a year ago and remember getting a subscription right away because we couldn’t get much working on it. But it’s been a while, I’m no sure. If you can get some HA integration working you probably don’t need the subscription at all :slight_smile:

I also don’t have a contract with Eneco but I want to control my Hue Lights and get weather and traffic info too. Could you explain how to setup?

There wasn’t very much to setup. I just plugged it in and connected the P1 adapter to my “slimmemeter” using a (unmodified) rj11-splitter. The Hue-settings are under the settings-menu. It should auto-discover your bridge (it wil also discover your emulated-hue/HA-bridge) and it will tiles for al lights and scenes. For weather and traffic I only had to change the location.

@piotr I did exactly what you suggested but Toon doesn’t auto-discover. I don’t see tiles for the HUE lights and scenes at all.

Did you factory-reset your toon ? I didn’t, Maybe the subscription of the previous owner is still active. We’ll see how long it lasts. (I’ll try blocking internet-access for the Toon and see if it keeps all the functions).