Total newbie - trying to set up MQTT + HomeAssistant... failing!

Hi there, guys.

I’m a total newbie, so please go easy on me! :slight_smile:

What this rambling message is basically asking is: does anyone know of an absolute rock-solid tutorial for setting up MQTT on a Pi3 using Hassio.

I’ve been trying to set up my Raspberry Pi 3 for the past few days. I would like to configure a nodeMCU+DS18B20 sensor to send a temperature reading to HA (I’d then like to go on to set up the basic thermostat in HA). I’ve been trying to get MQTT set up for this purpose.
I’ve installed the hassio image for the pi3 and have set up the system (installing configurator + MQTT add-on, AFAIK all has gone well)
I’ve tried to follow the links found in the add-ons section of HA (link below) as well as others found online

However, I seem to be having real problems getting everything set up. I understand I’m a total NEWBIE but I cannot seem to find really basic info online e.g:

• where can i find the readings produced by bus? I’d like to monitor traffic to the MQTT broker on the pi3.
  • Also, must the values for user+password within the MQTT add-on actuallly read like the following:
    “username”: “local-user”,
    “password”: “mypw”
    or should I input the new user credentials which i was instructed to create in the MQTT testing page…

I’ve tried to follow the seemingly simple set-up procedure on the Mosquitto MQTT Broker page but even this doesn’t appear to work as written on the page:

This is the method i used:

Using Mosquitto with Hassio

1. Install the [Mosquitto add-on](link removed) with the default configuration via ‘Hass.io > ADD-ON STORE’. (Don’t forget to start the add-on & verify that ‘Start on boot’ is enabled.)
2. Create a new user for MQTT via the Configuration > Users (manage users) . (Note: This name cannot be “homeassistant” or “addon”)
3. Once back on-line, return to Configuration > Integrations and select configure next to MQTT .

However, step 3 is not possible… when I go to Configuration>Integrations and select configure i am not able to input the following info:

Broker: YOUR_HASSIO_IP_ADDRESS
Port: 1883
Username: MQTT_USERNAME
Password: MQTT_PASSWORD

all I am able to do is let it run…

I understand this message may be a bit rambling, I do apologise once more!

I’ve tried quite a few methods and have done some reading online to aid me, but there seems a multitude of different methods, none seem to offer a complete solution for setting up using Hass.io.
I’ve put aside the nodeMCU for the time-being in order to simply try and send/receive tests from another rPi (with MQTT installed on raspbian) so that I know I’ve got my broker on HA running successfully. This too doesn’t appear to work…
inputting this call on the raspbian terminal (the pi which is not running HA)

mosquitto_sub -h my-ip-removed -v -t “home-assistant/#”

in the MQTT add-on page I read:

1548163072: New connection from my-IP-removed on port 1883.
1548163072: Socket error on client <unknown>, disconnecting.

(BTW is this panel the BUS?)

Any help greatly appreciated! Seriously!

Final word from me: I’m not completely tech illiterate, indeed I’ve been able to flash my Sonoff Basics with ESPHome and have been able to control from HA… but seeing as I cannot even find out how to use homeassistant via the commandline I’m feeling VERY tech-illiterate at the moment!!

thanks,
Paul

2 Likes

You are not alone. I’m in the same boat as you. It’s frustrating

1 Like

Bump! Did you ever figure it out? I’m struggling too and stuck in the same spot you are. When I go to the integrations page there is no place to put my credentials.

It has been a while since I set up mqtt but from memory you do not have to enter anything when setting up the integration.

This topic contains useful information, but also more people struggling with the configuration.

1 Like