TP-Link offers way to add local API back

Hi there,

I have a KP105 wifi socket, hardware version 1.0, still on firmware version 1.0.4 and that’s integrated into my HA just fine with the TP Link Kasa Integration. I’m not doing auto-discovery though as the socket has a fixed IP and I only have that one TP Link device.

Quick question:
Is it safe to update the KP105 to firmware 1.0.5 or 1.0.6?
Or will this break the Integration and I should stay on 1.0.4?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !
If your KP105 is working correctly at the moment, then I wouldn’t bother upgrading the firmware.

I can confirm its working again, FW 1.5.10

I‘ve ditched all TP-Link devices and switched to Shelly WiFi plugs.
Shelly offers way more features and also I like that Shelly explicitly allows to choose wether you want to use their cloud or stay local!

1 Like

I have a couple HS100 plugs and haven’t used the Kasa app in over a year. If I open the Kasa app, will I be prompted for a firmware update or will the app automatically push the update?

I just want to change the WiFi password on the plugs so that they are on my VLAN for IOT devices without external internet access. I’m assuming I still need to use the Kasa app to change passwords / SSIDs?

I think you actively have to start the update.

Didi you try to open the Kasa app? The update started or you was able to change ssd password without update the device? Thanks for info

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I thought it might sit better here.

I’ve followed the guide as suggested by @tarheelz and have been able to add my HS110 to the guest account.

Where I’m struggling is getting the HS110 detected by the Kasa integration.

Where it suggests deleting the kasa integration and then reinstalling. How does one do this?

I’ve tried deleting my other Kasa plugs from the integration and then reinstalling but that still doesn’t detect the HS110.

Is there something else I should be doing?

TIA

Nodds

I believe the Kasa Integration requires the cloud. In order to integrate locally controlled Kasa switches, I used Emulated Hue. See below.

Does the emulated Hue integration support TP-Link Kasa lights?

If you mean this integration, that’s not true (plus I use this and my devices are locally controlled).

You are most certainly correct. My bad. I’ll fix my post above before misleading anyone.

Emulated Hue is only needed to bring local Kasa devices to Amazon Alexa. If you don’t need voice control, you can go local and use the Kasa Integration without worry.

1 Like

Did you test polling all smart plugs for energy monitoring?

It appears this link is now dead. Anyone happen to have the contents they could publish?

You bet. The Internet Archives Wayback Machine is your friend:

How to make Kasa smart devices controlled local only

2 Likes

It would seem that with the latest update to the Kasa app, guest access is removed. With that, local control of Kasa TP-Link devices is effectively dead. (Exception for android users perhaps if they can side-load an older version of the Kasa app.)

1 Like

Sorry I’m new to this, I had bought some hs110’s a few yrs ago and haven’t connected them yet.
What’s the best course of action now?

Edit: Just got it intergrated by downloading an old version of the Kasa android app (v2.30) and then using the How to make Kasa smart devices controlled local only | TP-Link and HA normal integration.

My HS110 firmware is on 1.5.3 is there a way to upgrade it to the firmware before the one that cuts local control?

Yep. It would seem an Android device that can run an old version of the Kasa app is the only option for local control for any TP-Link Kasa devices at this point.

3 Likes

I just bought an HS103 from Amazon (in Canada) the other day and was able to get it connected last night.

I provisioned it using the Kasa app, and then immediately blocked it from accessing the internet (Unifi). Was able to confirm that it showed offline in the app when not on my network, and showed connected when on the same network.

Went through the integration setup in HA, discovered the plug and everything worked fine.

I likely just got lucky with a device that was still on an older firmware (1.0.3) but now wishing I bought a couple more while it was on sale.

1 Like

Hi All,

Thread revival - just because the solution i used didn’t seem to be here -

HS100 (au) smart plug
Hard reset to factory settings (hold button for 10 seconds (not 5))
Adopt with KASA app join to wifi - do not enable remote control.
add integration within HA - at some point it dropped off my kasa app and is being controlled nicely by HA.

Cheers .