TPLink Wifi Lights

They use the TPLink Kasa app

I guess you have few chance to see those light supported for now… they are not spread widely enough.

Do you maybe have a reference and some information on the used protocol? Did you already succeed to control them via POST/GET request?

yeah they are relatively new, but they WILL be pretty popular. They are in most stores and are the cheapest you can buy, and dont require a hub. No I have not yet done any dev’ing with them. I am trying to decide if I want to go with wink, but not sure if the new hub is supported yet.

1 Like

I see that they are compatible with Amazon Alexa. But Alexa seems to use the kasa account to control the bulb, which is not as ideal as a direct control.

@mattcurrycom: there’s an ongoing effort to support tp-link devices (currently supporting smart plugs & switches) used from kasa app in

If you have such a bulb, would you mind dumping system info from your bulb and making a feature request on pyHS100 project? It may very well be, that the basic functionality (turning on and off) would work already, but we’d need to find out how the colors etc. are controlled for better support.

I am super new to these bulbs, yeah the hs100’s are what I am using, but I am probably going to drop them for a wink2 hub, or hue lights… I have not decided, I am researching the options so they work with HASS, I have a zwave adapter on an RPI running my image, (HASS/JAsper). I may forget the hub all toghether if I can get these to work.

My issue is I don’t want off-LAN calls for controlling stuff, I want them to work even without internet.

So, I think hue does it, but I am still looking around. I chose TPLink becuase they are one of the few companies out there that try to support linux. They are also only $19.99 a peice to buy IN-PERSON. I am more in the research phase than anything.

I also have a couple echo dots I am trying to integrate with HASS, it will be a while before I can get that done. However, I have already figured out notifications from HASS to AWS> Echo

Have you already checked to see whether those devices work with TPLink Switch component? If they use the same Kasa app, they might use the same API as well.

See Tp-link bulbs LB100, LB110, and LB120

@jwyse the API is similar, and the backend library has support for it, but there has not yet been new release with support for those. It will also require someone to write a homeassistant component, the switch component cannot be used for lights.

Thank you all for your efforts but I have invested in hue, and sold my tplink lights. For more than just price as a reason. Thank you for the help though.