Track device

Question, I am tracking my Mobile Phone with Track device. Now if I look at the log file I see that it changes from Away to Home every now and than. Sometimes its correct but sometimes I am at home and it does the same. The question is, could this be in case the mobile switches from 2.4ghz to 5ghz wifi? If so, any input how to stop this? I am using a RPi4, latest HA and all updates done this morning. Provider is Swiss, its called Swisscom. And the devices are iphones X. Thanks for helping.

if Iphone devices are not used, they sometimes switch off wifi (sleep mode) temporarily I understood and thus if you base it purely on the wifi connectivity, then it might explain this behavior.

1 Like

Many thanks. Makes absolutely sense. You say “if you base it purely on the wifi”, how else would you base it? What can I add to avoid this?

Bluetooth :wink:

I use monitor for Bluetooth tracking and it’s much more reliable than WiFi overall. Of course, I use both, and some of the automation logic covered in that thread, to have a zero false positive on not_home.

1 Like

Guess this expain what Piggyback said and also how to kinda avoid it when tracking iphones https://community.home-assistant.io/t/device-tracker-home-interval-or-consider-home/84383

Question, device tracker is in the configuration.yaml file and based on the device_tracking entity. How can I combine it with the bluetooth tracking? Can I just combine the two platform in one go?

Example:

device_tracker:
  - platform: ping, bluetooth_tracker
  interval_seconds: 5
  consider_home: 120
  hosts: 
    Pat: 192.168.0.111

Im using Life360 which is very reliable although might not be quick enough depending on your needs. If you need speed and reliability a WiFi/Bluetooth tracker in combination with Life360 would be a good option using person:

1 Like

You can use a group if you want a very simple option.

1 Like