Track phones using Bluetooth?

I’ve installed an M56Atom Lite and the HA ESPHome integration. I can see the device in my HA dashboard.
I was hoping to see/track my phone as a Bluetooth device in HA, but I don’t see it listed anywhere. Is it possible to use the ESPHome integration to track phones via Bluetooth?

Most phone use random MAC address on bluetooth, so it makes this a little to track. This is another route you can take a look at.

If you use the HomeAssistant Companion App you can set it as an ibeacon which could be tracked. There are other programs to do this as well, but I think the companion app is your best choice.

This is true, but is it still possible to track using advertised device name, instead of bluetooth mac address?

I mean, if a BT scan indicated that there’s is a “John Doe’s iPhone 12 mini”, then the chances are good that it is going to be the same iPhone, whatever the mac address it is today…?

Well… not 100% reliable I know. But at least it is something, right?
At least until the day my son intentionally changes his Samsung phone to advertise being another “John Doe’s iPhone 12 mini”… for whatever reason, that is. :laughing:

Yes that’s what I had in mind - It wasn’t just my phone that I wanted to track, so having to install something on the phone wouldn’t fit the requirement

Read through the Beacon section on the ESPresense web site:

The new iBeacon Tracker integration has a nifty way of handling this. If you turn on the beacon transmitter function of HA Companion, the app/phone broadcasts an iBeacon protocol uuid/major/minor. The HA scanner sees that, and also records the MAC of that phone.

The second time it sees the same uuid/major/minor but a different MAC, the HA scanner scratches its head and says to itself, “that’s weird. The MAC of an iBeacon should be the same all the time.”

3rd, 4th…10th time is sees the same thing happen, the HA says to itself, “ok, now I understand. This must be some kind of beacon with a randomized MAC. In that case, I’m just going to ignore the MAC that is broadcast along with this particular set of uuid/major/minor from now on.”

From that point on, it only tracks the uuid/major/minor, and everything works well!

Of course, you could also just carry an actual iBeacon with a stable MAC. :wink: