Tradfri motion sensor question

I bought some Tradfri products yesterday but before opening the packages I have some questions.
When adding light bulbs to the Tradfri bridge you always have to connect them to a physical controller (motion sensor, remote or dimmer). Actually I do not want to control some bulbs by the physical controller but only by HASS.

Example: I have 5 bulbs and one controller. I want to control only one bulb with the controller and four bulbs with HASS only. Is this possible?

Also I bought this package:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20338944/

Will the motion sensor show up in HASS as a sensor which I can use for general automation or only to switch on bulbs in the Tradfri series?

Example: can i use the Tradfri motion sensor in HASS to trigger the coffee brewer?

Maybe you would say: just try! Yes, but I don’t want to open the packages so i can return them to IKEA if it’s not going to work the way I like it :slight_smile:

Hi @dimitripb,

Your question (and your first example) is possible.

In this case you need to make 2 groups in the Tradfri App from IKEA. (after adding all the bulbs )
(1 with the 4 bulbs and 1 with the controller and a bulb)
when you add the hub to HASS it will show all bulbs and you can do with them as you please and the fysical controller will still work for the one bulb in the same group.
(i have a simulair setup)

the second part (about the motion sensor) is not possible (yet i think)

Thanks for your answer. I already tried everything myself and the first part is already working for some weeks. Another HA user managed to use the motion sensor as a HA-sensor. Maybe it will be integrated into HA sometime.

No problem :slight_smile:
oh nice, lets wait and see.

@dimitripb, did you succeed in using the motion sensor as an HS-sensor? Can you point to this user that managed to do that?

No, unfortunately not. I returned the motion sensor, because it could not be used in HA.
In this thread user donnib managed to get it work:

HI,
fwiw: I’ve used the motion sensor as a trigger for alerts, probably anything is possible.
One can do it indirectly, via the lamp that is turned on whenever the sensor sees movement. You can use that state change to be the trigger, instead of a direct sensor signal. Even create a binary sensor from that if needed?

cheers,
Marius

Yes, I know, but I don’t think that’s the way to go (for me at least). I’d rather go for a direct signal.

agree, and im looking for elegant sensors myself. Was recently pointed to these:
http://wirelesstag.net
might be others too :wink:
Cheers,
Marius

Hi,

You maybe have some help with this guide?
https://snillevilla.se/anvand-ikeas-rorelsesensor-med-home-assistant/

Thanks! Could be a solution but you need another bridge. A disadvantage can be that it can stop working after installing a new HASS version, because it’s not supported out of the box. A Python expert can get it working again but someone like me will end up with a broken system :wink: