Trane ZWave thermostate not refreshing values

I have a Trane ZWave thermostat. Until yesterday, I had it connected to Smartthings, and I was able to set/read values in HomeAssistant via the ST integration.

I picked up the Nortek Zigbee/Zwave stick yesterday and started the process of completely moving off ST. I excluded the Thermostat from ST, and connected it to HASS - it is great. I can control the Thermostat just fine; however values are not updated “back” into HASS.

(I’m using ZWaveJS with the Zwavejs2MQTT frontend. Gateway is disabled, and WS is running)

When I go to the frontend, I can look at the details for the thermostat and click the Refresh button to manually update it. I have tried healing, and re-interviewing the device. Is there a known issue or configuration I need to set with Trane Thermostats to have data automatically refreshed?

To summarize: It connected fine. I control the thermostat. But as the state/temp/humid values change the values are not udpated in HASS unless I manually refresh them.

Maybe there are some device settings, you need to change for sending reports more often.

I do not know this thermostat, but most devices reporting temperature have settings, how much the temperature needs to change for sending a report, and how often reports have to be send, even if values did not change.

Look for it in Configure device under Zwave.

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of that. But it doesn’t even update the current mode. Presumably, switching from “cool” to “idle” would cause an update. It did when ST was my hub, at least :confused:

I’m pretty sure SmartThings polls in a time interval by default, at least with the generic z-wave thermostat handler. You didn’t say which Trane you have. Most of them are pretty old, if it’s old enough you probably need to poll the values. Z-Wave JS does not do automatic polling, so you’ll need to do it yourself. You can do it in zwavejs2mqtt (Settings → General → Devices values configuration → New Value, pick value and Enable Poll), or create an automation in HA to occasionally execute the refresh_value service for the entities to update.

2 Likes

It does. You can also setup a DTH or driver to do so and most of the thermostat DTHs ive seen do. That’s why it was likely ‘working’

The XL850 is the ‘newest’ one I know about (and it’s older then the one in my home - the 950, when Trane/AS started doing wifi by default and mine is already over 5 years old…) and AFAIK the 850 is not ZWave Plus.

I suspect you’re correct about this device needing an occasional poll.

Oh! I didn’t know I could do that. I wonder if there is a way to poll all values at once, or if I need to set up a setting for each one.

Poll as LITTLE as possible…

Sure, I only need the State, Mode, and Temp. How often is too often? 60s ok?