Trigger Automation With Button Helper On Dashboard

Hi,

I’m a complete newbie when it comes to home assistant, all I want to do is trigger a automation by a button on the dashboard. I’ve looked on google and couldn’t find anything that would help

Help much appreciated.

2 Likes

There are several ways you can do this, but what automation are you trying to trigger? what does it do?

The reason I ask is automations are basically scripts but that have triggers and conditions etc, where as if you want to simply call a series of actions for example this is what a script is designed for.

You can trigger a script and or an automation via the dashboard, however note that if triggering an automation like this it will ignore all triggers and all conditions and simply carry out the actions.

So do you have an automation already? what does it do, or what do you want it to do?

PS Welcome to the community

1 Like

Right Now the automation is not doing much, it just sends a notification to my phone for testing
but the automation will change some lights and send a announcement to the speakers in our house

OK, So are you going to want to have this automation at any point trigger automatically OR only ever when you press a button?

If you have or plan to have triggers in this automation then to trigger the current automation via the dashboard you could create a ‘button helper’ and add this new button as a trigger for the automation. You can then simply display this button on a dashboard and when you press it it will cause the automation to trigger and will therefore also abide by any conditions you may have set in the automation.

If you only ever plan to have this run when you manually trigger it, then you could create a script instead and then add a button card to the dashboard (without an entity) and set the button to call a service when you press it and have that service be script.turn_on for example.

2 Likes

Yes just the button to trigger the automation
I’ve already created the button help I just have no clue on how to get it running

1 Like

Ok Take a look here:

Still Not working, I’ve attached a photo any ideas?

In this case the button is called dinner time

Remove the To (optional) field

Well arn’t I an idiot its working. Well thanks for your help lol

:man_facepalming:

1 Like