Triggered by user

Sometimes DHL delivers a package when we are not at home.
When not home our alarm automatically arms the alarm, meaning that state changes of Door/Window or PIR sensors will trigger the alarm.

I could open our garage door in HA to let DHL put the parcel in our garage. However I must not forget to disarm the alarm. If not, opening the garage door will trigger the alarm.

I wonder if it is possible to create an automation with two triggers.
Trigger 1: physical press on wall switch to open the garage door
Trigger 2: door opened via the HA app on our mobile phones. (based on user that is logged in the HA app maybe?)

Trigger 1: should do nothing, a burglar should not be able to disarm the alarm via the garage door wall switch.
trigger 2: should, run a sequence that will first disarm the alarm and afterwards open the garage door.

Any idea how I could create these two different kind of triggers?

Thanks for help!

Automation actions allow for “if >> triggered by” action

Many other “if” conditions are allowed.
These are configurable in the GUI. Sorry i could not find it in documentation but when i do i will edit this post to include it.

Triggered by works like this:

platform: state
entity_id:
  - light.X
to: ON
id: lamp

choose:
  - conditions:
      - condition: trigger
        id: lamp
    sequence:
      - service: light.turn_on
        data: {}
        target:
          entity_id: light.X

What I am looking for is, how I can distinguish who actually triggered lamp X.
Was the wallswitch manually pressed → ( `trigger.to_state.context.user_id == none’) or,
was it triggered in the the HA app → (trigger.to_state.context.user_id == username who was logged into the HA app)

I feel I need "trigger.to_state.context.user_id " for this instead of “triggered by”.
Any examples or alternatives how I could do this?

in the history you can see difference between triggered by HA app or manual trigger using the wall switch.

How can I put these two triggers in an automation so I can define different actions based on how the garage door was triggered?

You can use trigger.to_state.context.user_id as it will be your user id when you do by HA or none when someone press the button.
So you can use this in an if..then..else.. statement:

- condition: template
      value_template: >
        {{trigger.to_state.context.user_id is none}}
platform: state
entity_id:
  - light.X
to: ON

choose:
  - conditions: # If triggered by user in HA
        value_template: "{{trigger.to_state.context.user_id is not none}}"
    sequence:
        target:
  - conditions: # if triggered by physical/manual switch
        value_template: "{{trigger.to_state.context.user_id is none and trigger.to_state.context.parent_id is none}}"
    sequence:
        target:

trigger.to_state.context.user_id is none tells us it’s not triggered by user in HA trigger.to_state.context.parent_id is none tells us that it is not triggered by an automation or a script

1 Like