Trouble setting up Asuswrt device tracker

I’m attempting to add my router (Asus RT-N66U) to track devices on wifi but I keep getting these two errors:

Unable to set up dependencies of device_tracker.asuswrt. Setup failed for dependencies: asuswrt

Unable to prepare setup for platform device_tracker.asuswrt: Could not set up all dependencies.

Here is my code in configuration.yaml. I’m using telnet and I have telnet enabled in the router.

device_tracker:
  - platform: asuswrt
    host: 192.168.1.1
    username: admin
    password: xxxxxxx
    protocol: telnet

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I think you need to setup the asuswrt platform in configuration.yaml before creating a device_tracker using the asuswrt platform. That is the dependency mentioned in the error log.

From the component page, you should have this. notice it starts with 'asuswrt:", not “device_tracker:”

asuswrt:
  host: YOUR_ROUTER_IP
  username: YOUR_ADMIN_USERNAME

I have the same model and also used telnet… apparently adding port 23 gets it to connect but all devices appear away after few minutes and the sensors don’t work either… been trying to look into it but no luck and apparently I can’t enable ssh on this model

That’s the old way of doing it, from 0.83 you need to configure it as @dwinnn mentioned…

I originally started with this config

asuswrt:
  password: YOUR_ADMIN_PASSWORD

But it didn’t work. It looks like @bythelake is having the same problem on the thread @Bobby_Nobble posted above and he has the same router model as me. It appears installing Merlin on the router solves the issue. I may try that next.

Keep in mind Merlin does not support Telnet so you need to configure for ssh. No biggie though :slight_smile:

I can report that installing Merlin on my router and using the code below worked for me.

asuswrt:
  password: YOUR_ADMIN_PASSWORD
2 Likes

Great to hear!