Trying to get my first tasker automation to work

the webhook is getting to HA, i had a space in the url that shouldn’t have been there, i went through everything with the cursor to check if i had extra spaces or something.

the automations show up in HA logbook as having been triggered too but there is no change in the light…

thank you

edit:

human error… the automation works as well ! i wasn’t allowing enough time between calling my phone to hanging up for HA to receive the info and act on it. takes about 2 rings

so thank you again for all your help and patience you’re a legend !

if I may though, through all of this i think i have learned a lot about how to set it up though I don’t understand what the “who” and “what” are used for or why i need them. also why do i need the two automatons? couldn’t i just use the second automation on its own with the same end result?

I’ve been playing and trying to understand the automation and I’ve found that this also works (what appears to be) exactly the same… so I must be missing something with the reasoning for the rest of it…

- id: '156677999539'
  initial_state: 'on'
  alias: Testing webhooks
  trigger:
  - platform: webhook
    webhook_id: imjusttestingthis
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: light.main_bulb_1
      brightness_pct: 100

I use those so that you can use the same webhook for multiple things. Want to hook up a second device, or another person’s phone, update who. Want to handle more than ringing, update what, and so on. I use the webhook for:

• Reporting whether the phone/tablet was connected to power, or disconnected from power (multiple people and devices)
  • Reporting what time the next alarm on the phone is set to (multiple people and devices)
  • Tracking whether I’m in the car (so far only me)
  • more

All this with a single webhook.

What you’ve got will work for any use of the webhook, no matter what data is sent. That’s fine if you want a single purpose webhook.

2 Likes

thanks for this. I might use webhook in the future for tasker. my current method was http sensor, but this looks better.

Thanks, that does make alot of sense now and again I can’t thank you enough for all your help.