Trying to recover broken install

Hi everyone.

I just broke my Home Assistant and found out that the backups (that were configured to be automatic in Google Drive) stopped months ago and I never checked it.
So… I would like to try to recover as much as possible before reinstalling, but I’m rather lost here.
My HA install is in a Windows computer, running Virtual Box and I installed the HA image there. When I manually start the virtual machine, It seems to boot properly, gives the Welcome to Home Assistant message and asks for login. Another surprise here: my login/password does not work, although I never changed it. I have no access to the web interface. I also tried Samba and SSH that were enabled in HA when it was functional, but no access.
Any ideas to recover those files?
Thanks in advance.

PS: I thought this issue would be rather common, but I did not find any topic to answer this, so I apologize for any repetition, I just did not find it.

in the virtualbox windows at the cli …

ha > au reset --username "admin" --password "12345"

assuming your existing username is admin

Thanks, but I could not find where to type that command line.
My screen shows only

homeassistant login:

Anything I type is considered as a user name.
How do I get to the "ha > " prompt without login?

try “root”
and password blank
if you cant see ha > try “login”
ha > -help

Thanks, that moved a step forward.
Typing “root” at login gave me another kind of prompt:

homeassistant login: root
Last login: Sat Dec 25 14:33:48 on tty1
[WARN] Home Assistant CLI is not running! Jump into emergency console...
#

If I try “login” at the “#” prompt, it takes me back to the "homeassistant login: " prompt.
I could get a directory listing and look around, but I have no clue of which files/folders to copy and how to do it from the VM.

During the boot of the VM I could take notes of a few error messages that might help understand what’s going on and how to get to the files (hopefully):

[FAILED] Failed to start File System Check on /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data
See ‘Systemctl status “systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\\xZdlabel-hassos\\xZddata.service”’ for details.
…
[FAILED] Failed to start Grow File System on /mnt/data.
See ‘systemctl status [email protected]’ for details.
…
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type “jounalctl -xb” to view system logs, “systemctl reboot” to reboot, “systemctl default” or “exit” to boot into default mode.
Failed to execute /usr/sbin/su login: No such file or directory
Reloading system manager configuration
Starting default target

I tried the suggested commands. “jounalctl -xb” gives a lot of scrolling text that I could not scroll down nor copy. The others, just reboot to the same prompt.

Have a look here, at the # promt type “docker ps” the home-assistant container you after is the one with …/qemux86-64-… good luck

Thank you very much for your time!