TS0201 by TZ3210_ncw88jfq reports wrong humidity (still)

I have two identical temperature/humidity sensors which identify as _TZ3210_ncw88jfq TS0201. They are side-by-side in the bathroom. The temperature graphs seem to be quite accurate, but the humidity reports the following graph. There is apparently something wrong, but the error is (nearly) the same in both devices. Is this

Screenshot_20231212_233750

I’ve read some posts from earlier this year which describes a phenomenon which is alike, but it was suggested that the problem was solved. Still it remains, apparently. Is there a tweak to solve this?

1 Like

Low update frequency and dropping to zero? Is it a zigbee device?

Yes, it is Zigbee. How would update frequency influence the humidity readings and reporting? I see no actual relationship with humidity or temperature. They randomly keep switching between values around 65 and values between 0-10. There seem to be no linkt to actual humidity or temperature.

Well, I used to own zigbee devices (not your one) and I had troubles when devices had a slow update frequency. Sometimes the reading then just dropped to zero. Not sure where exactly in the chain the failure happened as it was only one of many headaches I had with zigbee so I just completely abandoned that tech and switched to esphome/wifi devices instead.

I’m now sanitizing my IoT setup at home. Used to have a mix of mqtt/nodered, matter, fibaro, 433MHz devices and some more exotic things in combination with homeassistant and nodered. I finally found myself in a completely unmanageble labyrinth of systems and decided to fall back to homeassistant and 2 IoT platforms: wifi (tasmota) and zigbee. The latter because it is wifi independent and forms a mesh and easily can reach places where wifi is not present, the first because it can be directly controlled over VPN if homeassistant fails. This means that, if the HA server crashes I can remotely reboot it using a tasmota device.
Indeed some of the (cheaper) zigbee devices have doubtful reliability but furthermore I have not experienced any trouble and my setup seems to be fairly stable. And I have the possibility to keep wifi and zigbee devices separated or shielded so interference is not so much an issue.
@indeeed what are the problems you run into with Zigbee? I’d like to be prepared …

While in theory they all should work the same I ended up having a labyrinth if zigbee devices behaving differently. For example not all socket powered zigbee devices I used to own did act as a repeater. Battery devices are often a real hit and miss, some only reported a subset of entities they advertised others falling of the zigbee mesh frequently. Combined with very poor debugging options it just was the opposite of stable and resilient. Also low update frequencies of slow zigbee stuff made useful automations not possible…

On the other hand all of my esphome wifi devices do work the same, all expose all entities I want, all of them are rock stable and permanently connected (only when doing an update they are offline for the minute of reboot).

Thanks for the warning. I’m aware of the issues with 2.4Ghz interference, and experienced some problems with tuya-cloud-dependent devices. Should probably stick to the ‘reliable’ producers and stay away as much as possible from the battery operated devices (like the TS0201 thermometer sold by Girier). And first of all, investigate the experience of other users on the homeassistant forum :wink:

Definitely! Also check out the zigbee category in this community.

And don’t miss out @Hedda’s very extensive guide

And his other posts regarding zigbed

Lessons learned; be aware Zigbee has poor range and penetration plus is very sensitive to interference, also know many Zigbee devices do not follow the standard Zigbee specifications and need custom handlers/converters.

Also this might got give some idea…

…if it is not already a little late to start with zigbee in 2024 or are there already better and more resilient options without single-point-of-failure architecture

Great help! Thanks :smiley:

Same problem here with ZHA… The update frequency is low, but it’s a no problem to a room without heating; but the completely wrong humidity is a problem.

In other places it’s suggested that just multiplying the readings by 10 solves: not true. Sometimes the reading is ok, then it’s drops, just like in the op picture.

The humidity is displayed incorrectly when it is above 65.5%. See my Github device support request here [Device Support Request] Tuya TS0201 by _TZ3210_ncw88jfq quirk request for 2 issues (humidity reporting and temperature units display) · Issue #3097 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub and chime in so hopefully we can get these devices supported!