TTS update

omxplayer is not yet a media_player component in HA. So, TTS cannot be used on omxplayer.

@dennisaion, it seems not all media_player can be used for TTS. I am wondering is there any list of media players that is supported by TTS?

Here I was thinking MP3 could be pushed to any mediaplayer that can play it and is supported by HA.

@masterkenobi but i can for HA create automation, and HA plays mp3. i tested it and works.
anyway, can i hear de sound tts, when i have connected one speaker direclty on my RPI?

Yes. It is possible to play an MP3 file using omxplayer via command line. But not via TTS. I wished it can but it is not at the moment. Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

@masterkenobi i am very close.

when i call TSS service command from component
{ā€œmessageā€:hello this is a test"} the mp3 ā€œhello this is a testā€ is saved on my folder /home/ass/.homeassistant/tts

BUT

the name of this mp3 is like this: 70b105d66b68590a493232d276be03d6aa5ccb6d_google.mp3

if i create
shell_command:
play_sound: omxplayer /home/ass/.homeassistant/tts/70b105d66b68590a493232d276be03d6aa5ccb6d_google.mp3

and automation:

• alias: teste
    trigger:
    platform: time
    after: ā€˜22:00:00ā€™
    action:
    service: shell_command.play_sound

Works like a charm, perfect

BUTTTTTTT

if i erased mp3 file from folder TTS, and record new mp3 the name is OTHERā€¦ and doesnĀ“t work, because i need a specific NAME.mp3

how can solve that?

ok i solved with new line on shell_command:
renamegooglemp3: mv /home/hass/.homeassistant/tts/. /home/hass/.homeassistant/tts/teste.mp3

now i only need : always that mp3 file is created, after playsā€¦ need to erase fileā€¦

ok solved again with new line on shell command:
removemp3file: rm /home/hass/.homeassistant/tts/teste.mp3

next step is how record file for says temperature i make this Test:

{ā€œmessageā€:ā€œhello the temperature is: {{ states.sensor.dark_sky_temperature.state}}ā€}

but i ear "hello the temperature is bla bla bla states,sensor bla blaā€¦
and not
the temperature is 10 degress

any solution?

ermā€¦ why not just install VLC and use it? So much simpler.

did you try this:

base_url: xxx.duckdns.org:8123

But with vlc its possible ear on my speaker that is connected directly on my rpi?

Yes correct

Grrrrrrrā€¦late i will tryā€¦thanks!

Change my /tmp/tts to /var/opt/homeassistant/www which resulted in the MP3ā€™s being played over my all my mediaplayer clients (Squeezeplayer, Kodi, etc.) Success! :grin:

alexa is capable of notifcations but not with the native service.

Hi, did you ever solve this issue with the template? I have the same but canā€™t find a solution.

@Tyfoon i just installed vlc and that solve my problem.

Hi hokagegano,

just a newbie question: Iā€™m trying to let my HA on RPi to play audio from the same RPi on which itā€™s running. Is it possible via the PulseAudio? I was playing with MPD (but cannit play MP3 files), and cmus (I was unable to set it up).

Thanx for help!
PS: latest HA running on RPi via VENV.

If you want play some mp3 on rpi, you can install omxplayer.

hi maximkrusina,

Yes on my side, i have a pine 64 (sort of raspberry pi) which runs Home assistant with speaker installed on it.
I use pulseaudio (you need to grant home assistant user to work with pulseaudio if not enabled by default).
I use VLC installed on the pine64 to use TTS. vlc-nox works fine with home-assistant and mp3.

Can you give more details on how to grant home assistant user to work with pulseaudio or vlc, my tts mp3 is generated and is playable manually but no sound through hass, so I suspect something to do with permssison.

1 Like