Turn off lights when Roomba is done cleaning

Hi!

I’m running Home Assistant for 2 months now and started to make automations. One of the things I would like to accomplish is that the lights turn on in the night when Roomba starts and that they turn off the moment it is done or throws an error. Turning on is not a problem, as an automation starts at 01:00 AM which turns on the light and starts the Roomba. I have tried to turn off the lights by making an automation that checks the status of the Roomba, but I can’t find all the available statuses for that device anywhere. I have tried more then 10 different types of status changes (like: from ‘Cleaning’ to ‘Docked’ or ‘Cleaning’ to ‘Charging’) but none of them make the trigger work. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong and on what status change I should put a trigger on?

I don’t know the trigger. But I’m wondering why the lights need tot turn on, because as far as I know Roomba can do its cleaning in the dark as well.

(I do have Xiaomi S5 max and is cleaning at night, without turning on lights)

It’s probably lower case states, so docked instead of Docked. Check under Developer Tools -> States.

Please share your non-working code, then we’ll be able to help you.

1 Like

Hi, @andydewit - welcome to the forum!

@Burningstone mentioned the develop/states tool - that is one of my go-to sources. One great part of it that I missed for a couple years is the filter at the top of the list. That really helps getting to the component you are looking for instead of scrolling for what seems like forever through the list.

Find the Roomba in the list. It might tell you the available states. If not, then just run it through the states you are after (docked, cleaning, charging) and see what state is reported in the developer/states tool. I don’t know how many times I’ve done that with TVs, sensors, google calendar events, etc.

But, as @Burningstone mentioned, it’s likely a lower case thing…

Another great developer tool is the developer/template tool (to the right of the states tool). Maybe you’re not using them now, but I bet you will down the road aways :wink:

1 Like

@Burningstone is correct. States are: docked, cleaning, charging. Source: Mine is cleaning atm.

I’m thinking I missed the boat by not getting a Roomba for Christmas :upside_down_face:

Wow, I didn’t expect all these helpful replies in such a short time. Thank you very much for the help guys, awesome! It indeed was a lower case thing.
Thanks for telling me about the States tool, that’s very handy (not only for this automation).

@Canedje I have the Roomba S9+. In most cases when it’s dark, it can’t navigate very well and throws an error quite often. That’s why I would like to turn on the light:-)

Problem solved, thanks again for the great help! I really appreciate that.

Reviving an old thread, hope people are watching. This is exactly what I am hoping to do. But with a further twist. Turn on lights in a specific room when Roomba vacuums it then turn off after. I am getting i8+ which has mapping and room namimg like OP.

Can HA tell Roomba to vacuum the living room only? Or does it send room states to HA?

Thanls

1 Like

The integration does not list what area it’s in, only what area’s it’s cleaned. So it’s not possible to turn on lights as it moves throughout a full cleaning process, however you could turn all lights on and them turn them off as it moves through the house.

FYI, you can search the forums for anything. I did not know how to clean specific rooms so I simply searched for “Roomba clean specific rooms” and the first choice was this post with a step by step guide on how to do it.

1 Like

Thank you! I googled a bunch of things but didn’t search within the forums. Sorry, And… Thank you for the link, it’s all good news and appreciate your reply. Cheers

Nothing to be sorry about, you’re new. Wasn’t sure if you tried the forum search yet. It’s pretty good, much better than the home-assistant.io’s search function.

I know this is old but can you give a screenshot of your flow,I’m trying to do the same thing