Turn off spell check in text fields

The omnipresent autocorrection and spell check features in text fields can be frustrating when they automatically replace unconventional entity names with dictionary equivalents without the user noticing.

My suggestion is to include the spellcheck='false' attribute in all input class='input' elements, as old as many new in 2024.4

For the time being, I’ve been using JavaScript to achieve this: $("input.input").attr("spellcheck", "false");, but I believe this improvement should be universally implemented for everyone’s convenience.

What platform are you referring to?
I never see this in Home Assistant.

pinned post

If you have not noticed this problem, it is possible that such an aggressive text correction applies only to the Safari browser. And this drastically limits the possibility of gathering a large number of votes under the proposal.

In this example, if I press a space or leave the text field, the text will be replaced by desu which will completely change the search results.

I don’t see it in Firefox

1 Like

Yeah this is not Home Assistant. It is a web browser or phone setting.

2 Likes

This is a system setting. So you can turn it off for the whole system.

On the other hand, spellcheck='false' is the local setting of a given text field. And since the fields in Home Assistant do not require typo checking, that’s why I’m write request.

So it’s a Home Assistant.

I don’t get this in my browser or the phone app and I have spell check enabled on both.

It is your browser/phone.

1 Like

You still don’t catch. The fact that it doesn’t occur in your browser does not mean that it does not exist, because I’m not the only one in the world who uses this browser.

And it does not change the fact that the search fields in HA should not have spellcheck or autocorrect attributes.

Tomorrow they will update your browser and you will notice it too. What then?

1 Like

You haven’t told us which browser. Please do.

1 Like

They catch the problem just fine. But it’s simply not something HA can control.

I say that as a former enterprise software support manager who used to support one of those big three browsers

If your browser is inflicting spell check when you don’t want it. That’s a call to the browser dev. Not. HA.

You don’t read.

@NathanCu do you have an knowledge about web developing or just browsers?
Because I want to spell checking in the browser but not in the search fields in HA. That’s I call to the HA dev. The web (HA) developer decides in which field the spells should be checked, autocorrection, whether this field contains text, number, email, etc. The browser dev’s does not decide about it.

1 Like

While I don’t code html daily, yrs I do In fact and now I follow what you’re suggesting… So. Ok. if you use the that attribute to prevent t spell check. What if I - different user - want spell check on that field. I seem to remember that being one of the biggest problems there. (I can’t remember if crome/chromium browsers allow override)

1 Like

Well while you wait for that to happen, use the app instead. It is available for Mac and iOS and does not have this issue.

Or an actual half decent web browser.

I personally haven’t had this problem, but I totally get the point. Some things just shouldn’t be spell-checked because they aren’t expected to be plain-language words.

And, there’s an attribute in HTML which allows this:

This is something a competent UI designer should do automatically, and certainly would have no trouble implementing where appropriate. I’d say most input elements in HA aren’t looking for properly-spelled words.

Voted. Even if I haven’t personally found this frustrating, yet, it’s a reasonable request. I’d much rather see this implemented than many of the unasked-for changes I’ve seen in the past.

1 Like