Turn off wifi socket based on energy

Hi there,
I want an automation that is turning off my 3d printer when the wifi plug’s power consumption is below a certain value for a specific amount of time. So nothing special but I can’t get it to work:

- alias: turn of 3d printer
  trigger:
    platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.gsnd_3dprinter_energy_power
    below: 65
    for:
      minutes: 15
  condition:
    - condition: state
      entity_id: switch.gsnd_3dprinter
      state: 'on'
  action:
    - service: homeassistant.turn_off
      entity_id: switch.gsnd_3dprinter

Calling the automation manually is turning off the printer. It also worked once but never again. Can you tell me where my mistake is? thanks!

EDIT: This is the said sensor (it was below 50W for at least 15 minutes):
2019-03-06_15-20

Is the automation enabled? Search for it in /dev-state to check if it‘s ‚on‘

1 Like

It is enabled

Change that to

action: - service: switch.turn_off
1 Like

That seems to do the trick. You know why it isn’t working with the homeassistant service?

I can’t see anything obviously wrong with your automation.

But: In my config I’m using template sensors for all my power consumption related automations. And I know there was a reason I started with that, but I don’t remember it anymore. Yet, I’m quite sure, it was some problem with defining thresholds directly in the automation trigger.

This is the config I use for my (2d) printer:

Template Sensor:

- platform: template
  sensors:
    kg_drucker_status:
      friendly_name: "KG Drucker Status"
      value_template: >-
        {% if is_state('switch.kg_drucker', 'off') %}
          off
        {% elif states.sensor.kg_drucker_stromwert.state | int > 60 %}
          busy
        {% elif states.sensor.kg_drucker_stromwert.state | int > 30 %}
          standbydisplay
        {% else %}
          standby
        {% endif %}

Automation:

- id: kg_drucker_ausschalten
  alias: KG Drucker ausschalten (wenn im Standby / Display aus)
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
  - entity_id: sensor.kg_drucker_status
    platform: state
    to: 'standby'
    for:
      minutes: 2
  action:
  - service: switch.turn_off
    entity_id: switch.kg_drucker

As an extra advantage, the template sensor provides “human readable” states and history graphs for the entities. This is a history graph for an e-Bike charger I turn off with an automation when charging is complete:

1 Like

With @mjoshd suggestion the automation worked once. Tried to trigger it a 2nd time and I had no success.
Does anyone know what happens when the plug is unavailable? Will the data count as above my set trigger?

I think I figured it out:
The logs showed that my tasmota plug was unavailable from time to time. My guess is that there is power data missing (missing as in NaN?) and the automation will never be triggered.
I followed this post since other seem also have these unstable connections:

So far the automation triggered twice succesfully.

Is it still working? I am trying same thing but don’t know where to stat. Currently I have D-link W215, but willing to buy another one if needed. I don’t even know how to read power from HA.

I was also thinking about prevention to power off while power is higher than selected amount.

Can you give some directions? I don’t know where to write those lines you posted… Currently I have Home Assistant installed on Rpi 4.

Start reading about automations here and maybe look up your device here to get started. I recommend you learn a bit about home assistant in general before you paste code snippets.