TurnON Panasonic Viera from HASS

Uh… you will need to install and learn to use a telnet client if you want to do this test. Home Assistant uses telnet, and I’m guessing that once the TV is off… then telnet is off too… it’s just a test.

If you are using a Windows machine, and have enabled the built in telnet client, then the command would look like (from CMD or PowerShell):

telnet ipaddress port
telnet 192.168.0.15 55000

If the TV connects then your CMD/PowerShell screen will go blank and you can enter commands.

If you can enable “network standby” for your Panasonic, then you will probably get it turning on over the network. That’s the real useful part of all this.

“which model works, which not?”

I don’t know sorry. That’s why I’m using tests with telnet.

For me the on/off buttons dissapears as well after turning the TV off. So there is no way to turn the TV on again, though it does work (through the Panasonic app and if I press the on/off button in Hass fast enough (before it dissapears)).
How can I keep the button from dissapearing?

—edit—
Hmm, I tried turning the TV on through the developer tools, but that doesn’t seem to work. If I add the TV manually through configuration.yaml WITH mac address I can turn on the TV through that instance. Without MAC that doesn’t seem to work though.
Unfortunately the manual instance of the TV doesn’t seem to show the right state (it’s always off), so that’s not workable either.

Is there any way to include mac address through the auto-discovery for Panasonic Viera?

I’ve read somewhere If you turn off your tv, it is inpossibel to do a WOL ( seems logic). So when it’s off you can’t give it a signal to putt it on again.

I thought it was maybe possible to put it on with my pioneer receiver. No luck yet

It does work. But (in my Panasonic Viera) it needs a setting changed in the TV: networked standy should be on. The TV will go to standby with an orange light instead of a red one. Then the WOL will work but only if the mac address is provided apparantly. Unfortunately the auto-discovery doesn’t set the mac address, so that doesn’t work. If I add the TV manually (and ignore viera from discovery) WOL does work! But for some reason the state doesn’t work. So the TV seems to be always off.

So or the mac address should be loaded by the discovery, or the manual instance should show state.

1 Like

For those models that support “Power on via App” (and can be turned on by using the “turn_off” twice), I created a PR with the python library “panasonic-viera” to add a “turn_on” function:

https://github.com/florianholzapfel/panasonic-viera/pull/8

After that, I created a PR with Hass to add a configuration variable “app_power” for the panasonic-viera component.
If that variable is set to true, one can turn on the TV!

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/22084

1 Like

The PR got merged and released. As of HA 0.91 you can set the configuration variable app_power to true for your panasonic TV and power on will work as expected.
No need to hand-modify panasonic-viera media-player component any more!

Example:

media_player:
  - platform: panasonic_viera
    host: 10.0.0.42
    app_power: True
1 Like

What exactly do I need to do, in order to enable this? Which files do I edit?

My HA is running inside docker :confused:

If I plug my ST50 in, via ethernet, rather than wifi, would that significantly help?