Tutorial: add Homebridge to Hass.io using Portainer

Should be port :8080.

1 Like

Thanks, for some reason I thought it was 8181.

Sorry if this isnt within the scope of this post, but when creating the volume, what is actually happening here? I’m running HA on a raspberry pi, and if I go into the shell of the home bridge container i see the /homebridge directory. Is the volume supposed to be creating this directory on my host system (the raspberry pi)? If so I cant find it, the mount path for the volume it created is /mnt/data/docker/volumes/{id}/_data but when I ssh to my pi that directory doesn’t exist.

Thanks

As @thecem points out in an earlier post, use the following volume information to be able to access your homebridge instance on the host.

1 Like

Gibt es auch die Möglichkeit „Hoobs“ auf eine ähnliche Art und Weise einzubinden?

Ich habe es versucht und in Home Assistent wird mir die Hoobs HomeKit Bridge angezeigt aber ich finde keine IP Adresse um über die Web Oberfläche darauf zuzugreifen.

Hi, I installed Homebridge on my ri4 as discribed! I now have to update my npm and node.js. I read that you have to update the docker image. Is it possible to keep the plug ins and keep the config file as it is?

You should be able to perform updates through the home bridge web interface, there is not typically a need to directly use docker commands.

I can’t find the option to update npm en node js in the web interface. 2 plug-ins asks for node js version 14.5.2. My HB has version 14.5.0. So O want to update node js (and also npm 6.14.8 to a higher version)

My homebridge docker has Node.js Version v14.15.4 and Npm Version v6.14.10.
I have only updated homebridge when prompted through the web gui.
I am on homebridge v1.2.5.

yes sure, description above:

version: '2'
services:
  hoobs:
    image: hoobs/hoobs:latest
    restart: always
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - PGID=0
      - PUID=0
    volumes:
      - /mnt/data/supervisor/homeassistant/hoobs:/hoobs
1 Like

you have to pull the latest image, to update the complete docker, to the new node and npm version. description above…

Thanks @thecem and @Hackashaq666 for your reaction.

@thecem, you mentioned to recreate the homebridge image. Will the config-file and existing plugins stay or do I have to install/config them again?
Just check before all data is gone :wink:

If you have your config for homebridge in config/homebridge in HA, nothing will be lost.
If you would like to be double secure backup your config via homebridge UI. Additional copy your config (all files without folder node_modules) out of config/homebridge to your backup place.

I do this since I’ve onboarded hb to HA via portainer, and really never had any problem!
Also this is the fastest way to build up a hb or hoobs.
hoobs is nice but more for rasps not really for docker.
I love the oznu/homebridge docker with UI fast slim nice…

2 Likes

If you change the volumes section of the docker-compose to point to the share folder, it will be backed-up with home assistant snapshots, but these will be larger snapshots, mine are >100 mb:

version: '2'
services:
  homebridge:
    image: oznu/homebridge:latest
    container_name: homebridge
    restart: always
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - TZ=America/New_York
      - PGID=1000
      - PUID=1000
      - HOMEBRIDGE_CONFIG_UI=1
      - HOMEBRIDGE_CONFIG_UI_PORT=8080
    volumes:
      - /mnt/data/supervisor/share/homebridge:/homebridge
2 Likes

Hi, i followed all the step, but i got an issue with the host.

when i start Homebridge, i got " hostname: hassio not found "
Did i miss something?
thx for your help.

try using homeassistant as the hostname.

I assume portainer has changed since this was written, i cant seem to find the option to deploy a stack. Has it been renamed?

It’s still there.
Select “Stacks” then press “Add Stack” and scroll down to the the “Deploy the stack” button

Thank you. I found I have to click on the container first the stacks option was not showing up at all for me. Then I found what I was looking to do has since been intergrated to ha anyway. So much fun learning these things. Reminds me why I picked the network path over software dev path in college.

Followed the setup…and I’m familiar with Portainer…but whenever I try to “deploy the stack” I get image