Two-Way Audio

Looking for some suggestions or advice on the easiest way to setup a secure two-way audio system in Home Assistant.

I have a handful of cameras both inside and outside my house, all setup using local RTSP. When I am on the local network, and hit the camera URL over VLC, I can hear the audio over the network stream just fine. I have never been able to hear the audio through home assistant camera component, only on the recordings it saves to my network share via the recording script. From what I can gather, the stream component just doesn’t support audio yet.

The issue I face is my partner really loves the ability to listen and talk to our cats through the Wyze camera in our bedroom, which she does through the Wyze app. Being able to check on our cats while away is probably the reason she is okay with me being obsessed with all of this stuff anyway!

I have loaded the latest RTSP firmware onto the camera via SD card, and it is connected to home assistant via RTSP, however the only way to control the PTZ and two-audio is via the app, which I know is reaching out to a 3rd party server somewhere on the internet and that definitely makes me uncomfortable. I know many have the same sentiment when it comes to running security cameras over network. The Wyze camera in our bedroom is only powered on via a smart plug when not home so it’s not as big of a deal, since it is the only one for now. However, the wyze firmware seems to be making improvements, and it appears there are some custom version out there I am willing to try. None of them however seem to address the two-way audio issue.

What I’d really like to know is if anybody has managed to get any kind of two-way audio integration working with home assistant that doesn’t require a connection to an external cloud service. Whether it is via a camera, or a raspberry Pi etc.

I’m open to any solution I can get to work as long as it is easy for someone who isn’t the most tech-inclined. If anyone has gotten something working I’d love to hear your solution!

9 Likes

Just waking this one up in case anyone has ideas on this.
I would be liking to do the same thing.
Should we open a feature request or is it already doable?

3 Likes

This is something that i’m also looking for.

4 Likes

Also wanted to give this a bump in case anybody found a nice solution. My mrs also wants to be able to talk to the cat haha

1 Like

Same here. I have a v380 cam and I can control the PTZ through lovelace with some fancy buttons I found on these forums. No audio though. Would love to at least hear the audio… But would love 2-way even more to screw with the cat.

2022 Bump. Thinking of investing in a Reolink RLC-811A camera which features two-way audio. The intended location is near the front door, with the hope of eliminating the need for a subscription-based video doorbell. I’d love to know if Home Assistant can yet support this feature, so that I can use the HA app for everything, as opposed to more than one. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Please support my feature request regarding two-way audio: Two-Way Audio (e.g. for doorbell, intercom, camera-systems, baby-monitors, sip, …) - Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)