Two-way doorbells - state of the nation

Let me get this straight first - I love my HA deployment and consider it superior to any other automation solution I’ve seen…with one exception:

While I have some lovely, home-rolled wireless doorbells, integrated via some ESP8266 and a bit of noddy Arduino code, there are times when it would be very useful indeed to be able to interact with someone at the door (e.g. to tell them where to leave a parcel), yet this doesn’t seem possible without disappearing into the off-the-peg world of cloud-dependent devices.

What, if anything, are others doing to work around this and has anyone come up with a proper solution to allow two-way audio to be implemented in (or, at least, close to!) the HA ecosystem?

3 Likes

If you search this forum for Asterisk or FreePBX, or SIP you’ll likely come across a variety of projects people have worked on to solve this problem. Of course whether this may work for you may depend on whether your doorbell supports SIP for audio.

Here is one I have worked on:

Here is one that I have seen that is fairly active:

1 Like
1 Like

I ignored the Duhua unit for 2yrs and tried everything else ….ring, nest, door bird, diy, cheap eBay crap….Duhua really wins. Works as expected and even has the option of built in or external sip server…definitely worth it.

2 Likes