UK Alarms for HA - Recomentations?

Found more on this on the comfortforum under topic alphaWerk UHAI RPi (IoT integration). It will be available as a ‘community’ rasp pi firmware image or more professionally as a UCM module.

Good background description

Thats out of date now will write more this week.

Thanks @colegates1 I’ll get it installed by the SecurityStore itself with a normal keypad + the Envisalink.
Then I’ll configure HAss with the Envisalink myself.

So I should be able to use the ‘panic mode’ of the DSC if I want to trigger the alarm from HAss.
And I should also be able to arm/disarm the alarm from HAss.

I also understand that we can’t read the PIR sensors of the DSC alarm via the Envisalink.

Based on this conversation I am thinking to purchase the Honeywell alarms and the Envisalink board, anyone else got this combo setup?

I have a texacom Veritas. With a set of relays wired to the internal keypad bus I can simulate any key press. Therefore with a node MCU all the existing wired zones can be monitored (buck converter to step down from 12v to 5v) and the key pad can be programmed.

The only thing I can’t detect is the difference between part set and full set. If anyone has any ideas for that let me know!

The panel you linked to is an Evohome product, you don’t need the Envisalink for it. As far as I understood it has integration into HA https://www.home-assistant.io/components/totalconnect/

An alarm panel with out of the box home automation integration are rare … The only one I can think of is Satel through ETHM-1 plus or with KNX. All others as far as I know require some form of a hack job or third party integration.

With a little time and effort anything can be done, here is a Honeywell Galaxy panel integrated over MQTT with all options available. ( Also with the help of an ESP32, RS485 and RS232 module to get the data ).

Perhaps you can define what it is that you wish to control, keypad, zone status, output toggle, group setting etc …

3 Likes

Hi, how opportune, very interesting. I have a Galaxy 60 system and have integrated it using its outputs , logging and RS232. It has been partially successful but suffers from lack of enough outputs and more significantly delay over the bus/serial interface. I haven’t implemented keypad emulation yet. I can’t use Ethernet due to there already being an Ethernet Emerson interface for IP monitoring. Two Ethernet interfaces are not supported.

However just this last week I have had a system fault that may require it be replaced and so I am considering my options. The suggestion is a Honeywell G3 96 but I am not convinced it is the right panel for my more demanding HA needs. The alarm system has always been my most unsatisfactory HA integration.

My HA system uses MQTT extensively already so I’m very interested in your implementation. Can you please tell me more either here if it’s of interest to others, or a new thread or by PM or email. I can send you my details, if you PM me.

Is the ESP32 directly talking to the RS232 and then MQTT ? That would be great !

Kevin

@Tjeerd Thanks for posting your setup. What I want to achieve is:

1. Minimal additional hardware purchased - just the box on the outside of the house plus a physical control box. The Yale system might suffice but has limitations
  1. Integration of my current PIR (hue) and door (Hive) sensors into the alarm system.

For (2) I obviously need to be able to trigger the alarm from HA. This is not currently possible with the Yale system from what I can see.
Thanks

You need a keypad/panel to be wife friendly, well at least the technophobe I am married too :roll_eyes:

you can get zwave external sirens, some even with solar fronts that need no wiring - which you could trigger from HA. I’ve been contemplating buying one for some time now but haven’t yet… and in terms of a physical control box - a wall mounted tablet works for me, but you can get z-wave keypads as well… the ring ones available in the US actually look pretty good if they ever come to the uk!

You might want to check this unit out https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=visonic+powermax&adgrpid=55671199640&hvadid=259147832540&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16299004895304732159&hvtargid=kwd-339857328&tag=hydrukspg-21&ref=pd_sl_8bw3b5cbas_e

There’s a component in Hass for it too

I’ve struggled finding an alarm that:

• Is availible through a dealer in the UK with at least limited support for DIY installers
  • Is 868mhz and two way comms with sensors
  • Has some kind of integration with Home Assistant, or some kind of network gateway that could provide that potential in the future
  • Ideally has a software interface for ease of programming, saving having to enter it all through a small keypad and screen

The only answer I came to was the PowerMaster range from Visonic - one immediate issue is that Visonic won’t provide you with support as an individual, as the PowerMaster systems are designed to be installed by professionals only.

They’ve also reduced the functionality of the broadband link module, on the PowerMax range you can use the broadband link module to access a web interface for status and programming, the PowerMaster range can only connect to an ARC (alarm recieving centre) or if you open up the panel by the Visonic custom component mentioned above.

Texecom have recently released this for their alarm systems https://www.texe.com/uk/technology/connect/ - looks positive but as far as I could see there’s nothing availible for home assistant in terms of being able to use the API it exposes - perhaps something will come along soon, that would then put Texe’s kit above Visonic’s - Ricochet (their wireless protocol) is actually mesh and encrypted, so all in all it meets all of the above requirements (plus you can get wired keypads, something which is not availible with the Visonic kit)

1 Like

I did get a response from one alarm manufacturer on why they have a closed API, and they said it was for ‘security reasons’ i.e. to prevent hackers.

1 Like

I’m sure you get it already - but that is a very good reason not to buy their product to secure your home!

Security through obscurity typically encourages hackers and makes it easier to compromise systems - have they relied on that obscurity and not bothered to implement robust authentication for example?

Hey ho! I’d rather build my own alarm, at least I know it’s shortcomings and can decide the trade off’s I want to make rather than having a false sense of security.

2 Likes

I considered getting a cheap 433mhz RF setup from china. (There are loads to choose from)
Plan was I could try and sniff the signals and fire off my own commands based on presence etc.

Instead I think I’m going to use my existing zigbee sensors.
Like you, I couldn’t find any pre-existing one I was confident with.

I have a Texecom Elite.

How are you linking it into HA please?

Via Node-Red and MQTT.

Hi!

Lev, I would like to know which communicator are you using?

Bojam

Node-red is communicating via a ComIP, I also have texecom connect to program the panel with wintex and use telecom app as a fall back if ever required.