UK Alarms for HA - Recomentations?

I did get a response from one alarm manufacturer on why they have a closed API, and they said it was for ‘security reasons’ i.e. to prevent hackers.

1 Like

I’m sure you get it already - but that is a very good reason not to buy their product to secure your home!

Security through obscurity typically encourages hackers and makes it easier to compromise systems - have they relied on that obscurity and not bothered to implement robust authentication for example?

Hey ho! I’d rather build my own alarm, at least I know it’s shortcomings and can decide the trade off’s I want to make rather than having a false sense of security.

2 Likes

I considered getting a cheap 433mhz RF setup from china. (There are loads to choose from)
Plan was I could try and sniff the signals and fire off my own commands based on presence etc.

Instead I think I’m going to use my existing zigbee sensors.
Like you, I couldn’t find any pre-existing one I was confident with.

I have a Texecom Elite.

How are you linking it into HA please?

Via Node-Red and MQTT.

Hi!

Lev, I would like to know which communicator are you using?

Bojam

Node-red is communicating via a ComIP, I also have texecom connect to program the panel with wintex and use telecom app as a fall back if ever required.

For those people with ‘old’ wired alarms, you may want to check out www.konnected.io

1 Like

Lev, thanks for your answer and do you need both communicators? Can node red talk to panel over texecom connect? Where can I find how to set up node red to communicate to alarm panel?

You can join the texecom forum, I have written a comprehensive and detailed write up on this. Also make a request from texecom for the API & protocol integration documents.

Hi levickij. Thanks for posting this it looks exactly what I am looking for is the forum the Texecom Installer Forum.

Hi Gary,

Yes it is.

Hi,

I can see that you have a both a ComIP and a SmartConnect installed in your system - can you tell me how you did that please? When I look at the installation guide for the smartconnect box it says that you need to use COM1 and COM2 - how do you also connect the ComIP to allow MQTT to be used as well as the Texecom Connect features?

Thanks

Yes, SmartConnect plugs into the on board Com1 and Com2 connector, there is also the expansion port to plug in the ComIP module which becomes Com3. My Node-Red is mostly using MQTT nodes.
You can join the texecom forum, I have written a comprehensive and detailed write up on this setup there, I have also recently uploaded my Node-RED Flow, Lovelace and YAML configs.

Hey, Any chance you could share your config to get the Galaxy working? I have a Galaxy Dimension, would love to get it integrated like this

Cheers Jack

Thanks for this. I have a 64-W and the expansion port has more pins than the normal com ports? Do I need a com+ pcb?

Sounds like you have a wireless panel. I’m not familiar with that model. Texecom have good customer support, give them a call to check compatibility.

Hi, I have a Galaxy Dimension and would like to get this working. Currently have a touch centre to toggle outputs but would like to get this working on HA to toggle outputs

Hi,

Can you expand on how this is done? I have just ordered rs485 to ttl module and it would be great to know the api you used or code etc…