UK "smart" energy meters

resoai, do you have a GitHub repo for this? I’m about to port this over to JavaScript and would like to give your code attribution.

Thanks,

Will

1 Like

Thank you, however I didn’t do a repo for this one as the code is barely readable :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see Bulb Energy has teamed up with SmartThings to display energy usage through the SmartThings app. Any one working on anything similar for HA?

+1
I have bulb with SmartThings
Would be great to get this into HA

1 Like

I would be interested in some integration for the smart meters too.

Im with OVO and they are going to be looking into getting out a API at last which will be great.

Hello Alexey,
Do you still use your code? I just did what you wrote, but my shell command doesn’t work. When I fire service ‘shell_command.update_sse’, my log shows error with “return code 2”.

Or maybe somebody else found other method to use with SSE?

Thanks.

I’m with OVO now so I’m not using the code anymore. By the way, SSE is part of OVO now. I’ll be looking into their API soon if I’ll find a moment.

Wow, only just found this part of the forum - and I can see this thread has aged well :wink:

I’m using a Raspberry Pi to monitor my electricity because I have solar PV and wanted to see both electricity (grid) usage, but also how the solar generation helped if I offset things I did whilst it’s sunny (I know, rare for the UK :wink: ).

So, I went for EmonPi from these guys: https://openenergymonitor.org/

A simple Pi in a box, a couple of clip-on current loop sensors and I can see lovely graphs (on their own web UI) and it’s great.

This is then integrated into HA using the EmonCMS integration https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/emoncms/

To be honest, it’s EmonPi that got me started in home automation… I then started looking for something that could control devices based on when the sun was generating more electricity (and I’m not quite there yet)

But, I guess the main point here is, Emon Pi gives me the fancy display that the “Smart” (I hate that marketing term) Meters are supposed to, but I control it, I have the data and I don’t have to worry about which energy supplier I’m using.

(Emon CMS can be setup for different tariffs, so it can even work out the energy costs too…)

High recommend it (and no, I’m not affiliated to them in any way)

4 Likes

Thanks. I actually sorted it in NodeRED. But I will be looking for your update here anyway. Good job.

Hello Michael,

Would you mind posting example of a sensor read from output json file, please? Whatever I do, I always get “unknown” status.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Never mind, got it.

If you are looking for DIY energy meters, take a look at https://lechacal.com. I’m not particularly tech savvy but I have been able to set up a Raspberry Pi Zero W with the RPIZ_CT3V1, three Current Transformer sct-013-000 and the RPIZ_CT3V1 (measures voltage). Cost of the kit from lechacal was £56 including shipping. I already had a Pi Zero. To get the power inputs into Home Assistant I used node-red and MQTT. Very helpful support from lechacal. All up and working just fine! [No affiliation to this product].

1 Like

Looks promising

are you using Emonhub or something else to get the feeds out into HA?

Sorry I don’t know what Emonhub is. The three current sensors and the voltage measurer plug into the RPIZ_CT3V1 (I think this is called a phat). This plugs onto the row of prongs on the pi zero W (I think these are called the header). There are some instructions on the lechacal website about setting up the pi for the serial input (http://lechacal.com/wiki/index.php?title=Howto_setup_Raspbian_for_serial_read) . Node-red is running on the pi zero W (I saw it was advised to do a fresh install of node-red rather than use the node-red already in Rasbian). A “serial in” node picks up the information coming from the sensors and then a function node splits up the information ready for sending via MQTT to Hassio.
I hope that helps!

cheers… I don’t use node red so I guess wither be a mqtt script or play with emonhub. Eitherway, ordered and dispatched :smiley:

did your zero have the pre-soldered header?

Oh yes. Although I see you can buy the header separately for the sake of a few quid I reckoned the time I would take to work out what I was doing just did not add up!

1 Like

ditto… my soldering isnt the best :slight_smile:

Hello

I have mine up and running but struggling to get it to send to my MQTT server without needing to run a python script. Using node red, do I NEED node red on my HA install please? As I don’t use it and only want something to spit the MQTT Feeds

Looks like i don’t need node red on my HA, just need to work out how I split off the feeds into HA via node red then mqtt… any tips please? :smiley: