UK Sockets with Power Monitoring

@Llamaboy
Iā€™ve been using the Local Bytes power monitoring plug loaded with Tasmota for the last year - absolutely rock solid, has never failed with multiple automations. Tasmota / ESPHome Smart Plug | Power Monitoring | Local Bytes (mylocalbytes.com)

Thereā€™s also an option pre-flashed with ESPHome and theyā€™re far cheaper than most of the competion!

3 Likes

Another option for UK power monitoring smart plugs (rather than wall sockets) could be Athom:

Similar to Local Bytes, they also have both Tasmota and ESPHome pre-flashed options, and you can flash them yourself if you want to switch between the two / update the firmware.

I have used both Local Bytes and Athom plugs with Home Assistant and they have worked equally well for me.

@Holdestmade - thanks for the recommendation on the Aurora sockets. I bought a load and they seem to have run out now. Bargain for what they can do.

I have a couple of issues, though:

1. After a power cut, the sockets switch off (not great - Iā€™d like them to return to their previous state) but they keep reporting that they are on. If they reported off, I could automate turning them back on.
    Do you suffer from this too?

2. They keep asking for an OTA firmware update. This isnā€™t a big issue but is unnecessary traffic. Can this be turned off? - and is there a latest firmware I can slot in (mine is reporting ā€œ20ā€)?

Thanks!

Not sure on 1 as not had a power cut. I use z2m and there is no firmware entity. Maybe just disable the update entity. As Aurora have gone into administration, there probably wonā€™t be any more firmware updates.

Ah - okay - thanks.

I also use z2m and I can see the messages in the logs (debug level).

Heya

Newbie here. I guess this means currently out only option is those Lightwave sockets? Those are really expensive :frowning:

Check out the Localbytes models. I have them and like them.

The Aurora Aone sockets have 40% off with aurora40zigbee code here

https://www.smart-secure.co.uk/product/aone-zigbee-twin-switched-socket/

Itā€™s a shame. The coupon has expired now. I missed out :frowning:

Just purchased and installed one of these before finding this thread and learning theyā€™d gone bust.

Has anyone already bought he hub? It seems these sockets will lock and just wondering if anyone has figured out how to do that with home assistant?

Have seen the ZHA devs created a quirk to allow the brightness level to be exposed, I could probably develop the quirk myself but cant figure what the command should be sent to the socket so that it locks.

Not sure i can justify buying the hub of a company thats already gone bust! Why do they bother with their own hubs? Just expose everything through Alexa or something?

I use them with Z2M and there is brightness control, but both sides adjust together. No way to lock from Z2M either.
I would be cautious with the hub as doubt their web server is still working, but the app may still work local ?

Had a bit more of a play and the lock function is effected by going to ZHA (donā€™t have Z2M) > Manage Device > Basic Endpoint 1 > Attributes > device_enabled. Reading the value should get you Bool.true and you can write Bool.false to disable the physical buttons and hence allow it to be locked in either of the off or on states.

I have not tested this throughly, you should not rely upon this working just because I say it does but at first glance it would seem to prevent little mischievous fingers turning things on or indeed off which is what I was aiming for.

I have a number of TP -Link UK sockets that provide energy monitoring.

Just checked this with Z2M and indeed there is an endpoint deviceEnabled and writing 1 or 0 to it locks and unlocks the switch from manual changes. Iā€™ll do a feature request for Z2M to support it, hopefully it can be added.

For ZHA, maybe add a feature request for it to be added ?

Digging into press releases etc, it looks like Aurora went into administration in August 2022, and were then bought out in November of 2022 - Bright Future for Aurora Lighting After Acquisition by Galaed Group

So perhaps theyā€™re back and supporting their hardware?

I contacted Aurora yesterday as I have one of the double sockets. It did a firmware update on Z2M a few days ago, which was unexpected. It then dropped off the mesh and now isnā€™t detected in pairing mode, so I canā€™t re-pair it.

I emailed Aurora and even though they were bought out, all the Smart home items have been discontinued. They have some old stock, so they are sending me a replacement socket as it is within the two year warranty period, but I did have to supply proof of purchase.

Itā€™s a real shame as these are the only Zigbee power monitoring sockets I know of. The Knighsbridge Wi-Fi ones can be flashed with Tasmota, but you have to take them apart and Iā€™m not willing to do that on a mains-powered item, as the rivet you have to remove, holds the earth bar in place.

Thanks for the heads up, Iā€™ll give the updates a miss then.

They have sent me a couple that broke in warranty since they went into administration too, good service.
It is a shame they went away, I really like them. I managed to get 2 boxes of 10 for Ā£29 each (Ā£2.90 each socket !) on ebay a while back (and some Aone spotlights at Ā£2.70 each), donā€™t think they realised what they were. Not there now though

Yeah, I wish I could revert the firmware, but no idea how, without an Aurora hub!

These sockets have always been a bit dodgy - sometimes the power lights flash and occasionally, when Iā€™ve turned an attached device on, itā€™s made both sockets turn off!

Theyā€™ve been mostly ok for me, except if I turn a microwave off, it then crashes it and the LEDs go white. Only removing power sorts it.

Did you ever find a solution to them reporting as still on after a power outage? Iā€™ve got 5 sockets but one of them keeps sorting of tripping out but itā€™s so annoying that they report as still on or an automation could kick in